Havre de Grace

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Tapit??? Oh..my, I don't know if I'd breed her first off to him. I think I read Plum Pretty will be bred to Elusive Quality?? not sure on that one

I think the lady that bought both of them her last name is Pope?? Does anyone else have further info? How did she get so much money? Usually its the folks in Japan or Dubai that throw that kind of money around.

At least they will be staying in the USA

Happy New Year Dublino, you say some pretty funny things on here! LOL
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Mandy Pope got her money the old fashioned way, she inherited it from her father John William Pope, who started Variety Wholesalers. She and her brother now own stores across the South like Maxway and Roses, which are like Dollar General stores. Lots and lots of China made junk adds up.
Wayne Sweezy helped with the matings, Tapit was chosen because of genetics is what they said. They considered Galileo, but did not want to ship the mare. Think it was pretty much the breed the best to the best more than anything. And there really were only about 7 options when you think about it. I would have sent her over to Frankel.
They chose Distorted Humor for Plum Pretty, because Distorted does well with mares with a lot of strains of LaTroinne, which Plum Pretty has.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Stlouiskid this Wayne Sweezy should be gelded he hasn't a clue.

Havre de Grace is a Halo line mare just look what the Japs are doing with their Halo line mares importing the best Mr P line stallions from Europe and the USA.

Look at what the South Americans breed to their Halo line mares, Mr P line stallions.

Its breeding 101.

Well at least Mrs Pope didn't have to work for her money so the old saying goes a fool and her money are soon parted.

I hope she knows how to cook and clean her dads money aint gonna last that long....
Edited by Moderator

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Lemon Drop Kid

Afleet Alex

Birdstone

just a few suggestions, if you get some free time waiting for the kettle to boil Mrs Pope.
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Dub, is it just me, or does it seem that Madaglia D'Oro has really not been mentioned much, advertised much, etc.? Seems like all we hear about is Bernardini and Tapit.

And one thing I was thinking about. This crazy circle of "keepin it in the family" with Zenyatta, her dam, and her older sister, they are all being bred to Bernardini, what do ya wanna bet when Eblouisante is retired, they breed her to Zenyatta's sire, Street Cry? They are going to end up with very close bloodlines, oh, and then there's Tapit getting some in there with Zenyatta. She could go to him too. Is he having good runner stats due to the amount of mares bred to him, or is he just a very good sire? I will say he sires some pretty loud patterned dappled greys. The poor fellow Tweebster, when I saw his photo I thought he resembled a loud leopard Appy at first. Poor guy. :cry:

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm

If you breed any mare to a non Mr Prospector or Raise a native line stallion your basically excluding the resulting foal from winning the Kentucky Derby.

If your fine with that, you have got to ask yourself why you are breeding if you are not targeting the biggest race you can breed for?

If you have a G1 winning mare that nicks well with a proven stallion and you choose to breed it to Tapit who is a D nick theres no nice way to say its a dumb move and your ruining the mares catalog page.

Not only that but what fool is going to buy this foal?
Hey but don't worry some fool will bid $1m+ for this, thats the sad part.

Medaglia D'oro doesn't get the kudos he deserves yet as his top runners have been filly's.
If they had have been colts his stud fee would have been $500,000 by now.

Tapit only really got top billing when Hansen won the BC Juvenile until then like Medaglia mainly fillys and everyone was waiting for the one big colt, now Medaglia has Violence he will proably get more top billing.
Edited by Moderator

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm

You know, I did not even know that Magdalia was the sire of that Violence colt. It's kind of like we have not heard much from him since Rachel Alex.

Mr. Prospector or Raise a Native? Sorry to ask, but you know I'm going to....what do you mean, and why? Has every Ky Derby horse been related to those 2, and as time goes on, aren't they eventually going to be bred out of the first half to three quarter century of horses?

My mare was originally purchased by my best friend due to the amount of Hail to Reason in her pedigree, and then Seattle Slew, and we all know what a great guy he was.

I enjoy your knowledge.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Raise a Native was Mr. Prospector's sire, so the question remains, when talking sireLINES, why is the RAN sireline the producer of so FEW stakes winners when the Mr. Prospector line has produced so many? It is, after all, the SAME sireline.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

oh boy I did not know that...duh LOL

Maybe it was something thrown in there from the momma horse???

off topic: Madelyn, I love that photo of your horse, so pretty!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks, he really is a very beautiful boy.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Derby#Winners

Just have a look at their pedigrees.

None by Tapit or AP Indy line winning the Derby.
Edited by Moderator

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 pm

[quote="dublino"]Now for something even dumber.

The brain surgeon that bought this mare is breeding her to Tapit????

Why oh why oh why?[/quote]

I think they should just breed her to Tiznow. Then they'd get a monstrously large, dinosaur-headed beast who could mow down all the opposition. :P Actually, I'd like to see them try her with Hat Trick. Line-breeding to Halo and possibly an infusion of speed. 8)

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for posting that link about the KY Derby winners, Dub.

I checked out Black Gold. Of course, I love black horses, but what a FINE looking colt he was. And 19 races as a 2 year old? Then retired at 6, could not reproduce, so they brought him back to only break down in the stretch.

That's a sad story. Wasn't there a movie made about him?? :?:

Affirmed, does Tiznow have ugly foals?! LOL I'm wondering why you said that. He's a great looking boy also. However, have not heard much about him lately either.

I do LOVE Hat Trick. Gotta check him out again. He's the only Sunday Silence son here isn't he?
Thanks!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 pm

dublino wrote:Lemon Drop Kid

Afleet Alex

Birdstone

just a few suggestions, if you get some free time waiting for the kettle to boil Mrs Pope.

If she takes that advice, she's nuts.

Birdstone hit it good with a pair of NICE mares. Mining My Own has since produced a second Gr-1 winner. Hong Kong Squall produced a pair of high-earning geldings prior to Summer Bird, and is from the immediate female family of Tapit, Relaunch, and Glitterman. Birdstone hasn't had anything close to the quality of those two since.

Lemon Drop Kid is a darn good stallion and he's NOT going to be on the list to produce a derby horse anytime soon....for the simple reason that his foals need a bit of time to mature. It's rare that one is early enough for the TC races. If the goal with Havre de Grace is to keep the fillies and sell the colts a la the Phipps, he'd be a great one to breed to for a filly.

Afleet Alex has significant conformational issues (downhill with long soft pasterns) that limits the physical matchups that would be good for him. He has yet to sire a Gr-1 winner (out of 3 crops to race out of very good mares) in company that is not age-restricted. His yearling sales prices have steadily been dropping. For a commercial prospect, he's fading fast.

So.....if you want the Mr P line there's Proud Citizen on the cheap end with two Oaks winners and two on the Derby trail this last year alone, Street Cry who has everything from a King's Bishop to a Melbourne Cup winner, Distorted Humor who has sired the winners of each of the TC races AND the BC Classic AND the Whitney Handicap AND the Dominant Hiskens Steeplechase AND the Prix Jean Prat, or Smart Strike with 12 champions and the all-time leading money earner outside Japan and a Japan Cup winner and is the broodmare sire of a Kentucky Derby winner?

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm thinking about Drosselmeyer. Loved him as a racehorse, and he nicks well with my mare. He's gorgeous. I think he would put the speed in to my distance running mare. I don't know????

I hate his fee though whooo $$$$$$