Havre de Grace

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:51 am

kimberley mine wrote:If she takes that advice, she's nuts.

Well don't sit on the fence. :lol:

Lemon Drop Kid is a darn good stallion and he's NOT going to be on the list to produce a derby horse anytime soon....for the simple reason that his foals need a bit of time to mature. It's rare that one is early enough for the TC races. If the goal with Havre de Grace is to keep the fillies and sell the colts a la the Phipps, he'd be a great one to breed to for a filly.

What % of stakes horses is he getting?
No problem getting them running early over in Europe?

Afleet Alex has significant conformational issues (downhill with long soft pasterns) that limits the physical matchups that would be good for him. He has yet to sire a Gr-1 winner (out of 3 crops to race out of very good mares) in company that is not age-restricted. His yearling sales prices have steadily been dropping. For a commercial prospect, he's fading fast.

Afleet Express G1 winner.[/b]

How does the Smart Strike, Distorted Humour, Street Cry etc nick with this mare?
Edited by Moderator

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am

[quote="erhrdt3"]Thanks for posting that link about the KY Derby winners, Dub.

I checked out Black Gold. Of course, I love black horses, but what a FINE looking colt he was. And 19 races as a 2 year old? Then retired at 6, could not reproduce, so they brought him back to only break down in the stretch.

That's a sad story. Wasn't there a movie made about him?? :?:

Affirmed, does Tiznow have ugly foals?! LOL I'm wondering why you said that. He's a great looking boy also. However, have not heard much about him lately either.

Erhdt3: I actually love Tiznow too. He is my favorite stallion. He is a big boy. The dinosaur headed comment was a joke- he is a very big horse, but he is very well put together. No real chance of getting a dinosaur headed foal out of him. :) I do think Hat Trick is the only Sunday Silence in the U.S. I believe Tale of Ekati has S.S. as a broodmare sire.

I do LOVE Hat Trick. Gotta check him out again. He's the only Sunday Silence son here isn't he?
Thanks![/quote]

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Postby Affirmed1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

[quote="dublino"][quote="kimberley mine"]
If she takes that advice, she's nuts.

[color=red][b]Well don't sit on the fence. [/b][/color] :lol:

Lemon Drop Kid is a darn good stallion and he's NOT going to be on the list to produce a derby horse anytime soon....for the simple reason that his foals need a bit of time to mature. It's rare that one is early enough for the TC races. If the goal with Havre de Grace is to keep the fillies and sell the colts a la the Phipps, he'd be a great one to breed to for a filly.

[b][color=red]What % of stakes horses is he getting?
No problem getting them running early over in Europe?[/color][/b]

Afleet Alex has significant conformational issues (downhill with long soft pasterns) that limits the physical matchups that would be good for him. He has yet to sire a Gr-1 winner (out of 3 crops to race out of very good mares) in company that is not age-restricted. His yearling sales prices have steadily been dropping. For a commercial prospect, he's fading fast.

[color=red][b]Afleet Express G1 winner.[/b][/color][/b]

[color=red][b]How does the Smart Strike, Distorted Humour, Street Cry etc nick with this mare?[/b][/color]
[/quote][/quote]

If Dublino sat on a fence, he would be gelded. Just sayin'. :twisted:

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

dublino wrote:Lemon Drop Kid i...
What % of stakes horses is he getting?
No problem getting them running early over in Europe?

Going by his Bloodhorse page, he has in Europe Gr-2 winner Pisco Sour (late 3yo) and Gr-3 winner Lake Drop (4yo), and SW Mischief Making (late 3yo). They may start running early in Europe but they are not winning big stakes races until late in their 3yo season, at which point (a) they are too late for the US triple crown and (b) develop afterburners.

He is a very good sire but commercially tricky. If her owner is breeding to race, he's a great choice.

Afleet Express G1 winner.[/b]

Read for comprehension, my dear fellow. The last time I checked, the Travers is for 3yos...which means AGE RESTRICTED.

How does the Smart Strike, Distorted Humour, Street Cry etc nick with this mare?

You're the one who suggested a Mr Prospector-line stallion. I gave four Mr. Prospector-line stallions who are better commercial stallions AND better high-end racing stallions than Birdstone or Afleet Alex. If she were mine, I would send her to Arch. Keep a filly and sell a colt.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 am

kimberley mine wrote:He is a very good sire but commercially tricky. If her owner is breeding to race, he's a great choice.

Ok we kinda agree then :lol:

Read for comprehension, my dear fellow. The last time I checked, the Travers is for 3yos...which means AGE RESTRICTED.

My bad, sincerest apologies, but its still a premier 3yr old G1 at a major track?

If she were mine, I would send her to Arch. Keep a filly and sell a colt.
Again agree here its a proven cross/nick and Arch is getting a high number of stakes horses and like Lemon Drop kid the get better with age :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edited by Moderator

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 am

dublino wrote: Again agree here its a proven cross/nick and Arch is getting a high number of stakes horses and like Lemon Drop kid the get better with age :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Yes. The difference between LDK and Arch, here, is that Arch's sales average and median last year were $144,000 and $115,000, respectively, compared to $98,000 and $68,000 for Lemon Drop Kid. That's a huge difference in return for only a $5k difference in stud fee.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am

Another difference is sire line and statistics in American classic races.

With a mare like Havre de Grace you should be breeding to target these races hence my choice initially of stallions.
Edited by Moderator