KeeJan 2015

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

DonaldT
Suckling

KeeJan 2015

Postby DonaldT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:04 pm

So, I am having a lot of fun going through the KeeJan catalog and I have questions regarding a few things:

First, can someone comment on Hip 782? Really surprised to see her price tag at 20k. I get that she hasn't produced anything of note but is it possible she just isn't a good match with Candy Ride despite the strong family indication otherwise? And isn't a relatively young Deputy Minister mare worth more than 20k (if we agree that perhaps Candy Ride doesn't work for this mare) especially given her excellent first dam and the second dam is half to Affirmed? I am thinking (and please tell me why I am wrong so I can learn) I would have jumped all over this mare at 20k.

Thoughts are welcome! Thanks in advance for helping me read between the (catalog) lines.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: KeeJan 2015

Postby ct2346 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:09 pm

The LCD doesn't help. The lack of production hurts. And she's now 12. I used to be all over mares like this with an impeccable tail female, but there comes a time that you realize that some really well bred mares are just not going to produce. This mare's first dam did pretty well with Candy Ride...and these folks kept on trying. Nowadays I stay far away from these.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 am

I watched the live stream, and the market was brutal for the lower end mares. If there was any age on them, or light production from their foals, they were discarded. I saw soooo many mares go through at prices far below their covering stud fees. I realize people get discounts, but I simply do not understand that. Perhaps they ended up as RNAs

DonaldT
Suckling

Postby DonaldT » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah, looking through the results it's pretty clear that any red flag on the page was reflected in the price.

I have a question regarding hip 899. What does "2009, 2010, 2012, no report and 2013 not mated" really mean? Like, when you see that on a catalog page...does it mean she has major fertility problems or she has part-time hobby breeders who don't mate their mares every year, or a combination? Am I right in thinking this is a huge red flag? Thanks.