Private Sales

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

DonaldT
Suckling

Private Sales

Postby DonaldT » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi board members,

I have stumbled across a multiple stakes winning mare on a equine sales website. She is being sold as a hunter jumper. I haven't yet contacted the owner to inquire but I assume a mare that has won multiple stakes races and well over $270,000 must be infertile? Pedigree Query doesn't show any progeny reports. Im fairly certain that her current owners would never sell her to someone looking for a broodmare based upon the advertisement. What do you make of things like this? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

madelyn

Re: Private Sales

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:40 am

maybe nothing wrong just they feel she has more value as a hunter jumper? Also if she is past, say, 10 or so it might not be in her best interest to start a new career as a broodmare?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:28 am

It is not common but I have seen mares either not start a second career as a broodmare or have a few foals then become a riding horse only to have some major activity in the family. Unusual for a stakes winner to not get a chance as a broodmare right off the bat, though.

Who was the mare and did you ever find out any information?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Sometimes quality horses get lost - owners go broke and people don't know what they have. Depending on what she looks like in the flesh, and on paper, JC breeding records, etc. certainly worth the roll of the dice if not too old.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.