Fun at Fasig Tipton

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Fun at Fasig Tipton

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:40 am

Due to recent personal catastrophes I only got to the Yearling Sale yesterday afternoon for the last day. It was festive and fun as Fasig Tipton usually is, and there were still some pretty significant horses and big sales numbers. They ran the whole four days with one alphabet so the six figure horses were just SCATTERED from start to finish. I picked up a very pretty Stormy Atlantic filly out of Memorette, a multiple graded stakes winning mare for a tiny bit of money.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Fun at Fasig Tipton

Postby mehile » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

Congrats on the purchase, hope she brings lots of reward.

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 pm

Oohhh.. Sounds like a nice purchase. Stormy Atlantic is a solid racehorse sire, and I loved Memorette when she raced. Good luck!

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Congratulations on what sounds like a very nice buy, Madelyn. I'll look for her in the future.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

vaponydoc
2yo Maiden

Postby vaponydoc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Congrats on your new filly! Best of luck with her!

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:17 am

call the cops! You stole her at that price!! Congrats, indeed!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 pm

:D :D :D thanks. All I can say is a lot of people had bought and gone; I got hip 1371 of 1461 hips in the sale. She had been NAMED which is kind of a no-no for yearling sales - buyers want to do that themselves. Also she is a CAL-bred. Those two things make people think... well why did they name her? Did they intend to race her and then changed their mind? What is wrong? Why would a CAL bred come all the way to KY why not go through one of the sales out there?? Why has that mare not had a stakes winner??

Those things matter not. Neither the page in the catalogue, nor the mare's produce record, run the race, the horse in front of you does and she is a lovely stoutly built compact filly with a huge stride. She is not enormously tall but I don't like enormously tall in a yearling. She is a March filly, and is about the same size and weight as my other two March yearling fillies. As always I am on a miniscule budget and had lost out on a couple of dozen horses before this filly. I never thought I had a CHANCE at her for the bit I had to spend.

The mare was, in my opinion, poorly bred her first three matings - all fashion and no pedigree substance. Spending six figures on stud fee is not the only factor. Then she was empty for 4 yrs and then had a '15 and then the filly I got. I Understand the mare's page.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Looks like you may have a good one! Did you see any of the Orb babies? If so, opinion please
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 am

I did not see any Orb's. There were 10 in the sale and due to the alphabet were all on prior days.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Doggone it. I'm a big Orb fan. While he may not turn out to be a sire if sires I think he may wind up a pretty good broodmare sire
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America