no love for Oxbow at the Jan sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

springboro
Grade II Winner

no love for Oxbow at the Jan sale

Postby springboro » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm

yikes, just watched two Oxbows go a $1K each. The other 2 RNAd at $9 and 12 K

Isn't his stud fee $20,000? What gives? Some of the pages were light, but that still seems low.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: no love for Oxbow at the Jan sale

Postby Tappiano » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 pm

He's small maybe his foals are too.
Must be true of Paynter as well (although some of that may come down from his sire) many have sold for 1,000.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 am

I bought a Paynter 2 yo colt last night for 1K. His fee was $25K when my colt was bred. I think his 3yo crop lacks sizzle. His fee for 2018 is $12,500. Re Oxbow I imagine it is much the same story and with Oxbow he is not a well put together horse at all. But Oxbow started at $17,500 and is now $20,000.

Neither son of Awesome Again has put anything on the ground yet that is of significance despite having a decent number of foals in the first crop which is kind of critical.

I like my colt a lot he is a really nice specimen - now to come up with a name.. he is by Paynter out of Dance Studio. He is a very dark bay (really black all over with a couple of brown edges - stifles) and no white at all... Paint It Black? Who is a Stones fan out there?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 am

Congrats on the buy. Looks like there are lots of good bargains to be found.
That name is taken.
How about Expressionism. Or something with Paynt in it like Paynted or Painted.

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 pm

madelyn wrote:I bought a Paynter 2 yo colt last night for 1K. His fee was $25K when my colt was bred. I think his 3yo crop lacks sizzle. His fee for 2018 is $12,500. Re Oxbow I imagine it is much the same story and with Oxbow he is not a well put together horse at all. But Oxbow started at $17,500 and is now $20,000.

Neither son of Awesome Again has put anything on the ground yet that is of significance despite having a decent number of foals in the first crop which is kind of critical.

I like my colt a lot he is a really nice specimen - now to come up with a name.. he is by Paynter out of Dance Music. He is a very dark bay (really black all over with a couple of brown edges - stifles) and no white at all... Paint It Black? Who is a Stones fan out there?

Congrats on your purchase!
My first thought on a name was stroke to the beat but then realized that could be construed as a bit randy so maybe not. :lol: :wink:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks! Brookledge brought him over to High Pointe for me yesterday. I am Really Impressed with this colt! He is really terrific. Very classy and bold walked through Barn 1 and down around the concrete ramps to the dumpsters to his stall in Barn 2 like he owned the place. He is thoughtful and patient with a great eye. I'm leaning toward some kind of arttist's name. Was it Degas that painted dancers?

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am

Yes it was, that's a good idea. I always like the clever names.

Altanbarr
Allowance Winner

Postby Altanbarr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Madelyn:

Good luck with your Degas.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 pm

madelyn wrote:I bought a Paynter 2 yo colt last night for 1K. His fee was $25K when my colt was bred. I think his 3yo crop lacks sizzle. His fee for 2018 is $12,500. Re Oxbow I imagine it is much the same story and with Oxbow he is not a well put together horse at all. But Oxbow started at $17,500 and is now $20,000.

I like my colt a lot he is a really nice specimen - now to come up with a name.. he is by Paynter out of Dance Studio. He is a very dark bay (really black all over with a couple of brown edges - stifles) and no white at all... Paint It Black? Who is a Stones fan out there?

Painter's Studio maybe?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 pm

I Own The Place
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions; I have until Jan 31 to finalize a name choice. For the pedigree gurus out there... his two half sibs that are/were "good" horses were both Storm Cat line. Is there anyone besides me that likes the pedigree matchup with Paynter better for this mare? Awesome Again is also from the Northern Dancer Line but I really like the doubling up of Relaunch. Seattle Slew is also present in this cross (see Bud Fox) and also Blushing Groom (see Zooming). The three foals by Tribal Rule were apparently not much that was a failed experiment for the Wygods. It is interesting that her 3/4 (?is that the right fraction) sister Rubina produced a stakes winner by Tribal Rule.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

madelyn wrote:Thanks for the suggestions; I have until Jan 31 to finalize a name choice. For the pedigree gurus out there... his two half sibs that are/were "good" horses were both Storm Cat line. Is there anyone besides me that likes the pedigree matchup with Paynter better for this mare? Awesome Again is also from the Northern Dancer Line but I really like the doubling up of Relaunch. Seattle Slew is also present in this cross (see Bud Fox) and also Blushing Groom (see Zooming). The three foals by Tribal Rule were apparently not much that was a failed experiment for the Wygods. It is interesting that her 3/4 (?is that the right fraction) sister Rubina produced a stakes winner by Tribal Rule.

Hi Madelyn,
I agree with you, I prefer the pedigree with sire Paynter as well. A+ rating with True Nicks and an excellent dosage profile with the preferred classic wing having the highest number of points. Also present in his dosage profile is complete representation (CR) which means coverage in all 5 wings of your colts dosage profile. Looks like another savvy purchase Madelyn, good luck.
Concerning the 3/4 thing:>)...I'm not sure if you were referring to your colts dam (Dance Studio) and her sister Rubina, if so they appear to be full siblings?
I was curious, does your young man have a turf foot?? TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks for that TJ! There is no way I think to tell at this moment he has nice well shaped feet with enough width to take his nice well formed knees and good bone, He is a good minded sort.

People ask me what is the great secret about getting "lucky" at the sales and the answer always is you have to GO. To The Sales. Stick to your guns buy only what you went for (in my case a horse of racing age) and avoid temptation (a weanling/yearling, a mare in foal, etc.) and go and spend the hours and work and be prepared to go home with nothing (has happened to me a lot) if that is how the chips fall. It is an AUCTION. In my case I have to get the books in advance. I tag the pages with post it notes. I research each horse I might be interested in and write the notes in. I bid and then quit at my max. Period. Time factors in, this colt was at the end of the sale and really, everyone was gone. In the mixed sales, it has been my experience that generally fillies go too high for what they are actually worth - in January everyone is looking for fillies to breed. And while I deeply believe a filly just turning two is too young for that, well I guess the other buyers don't agree.

At this point in my new career as a trainer, I strongly prefer it to claiming. At the sales you have x-rays, vet report, etc. and a chance to check the horse out before.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 pm

By the way TJ you are right Rubina was a full sister - my catalog got so wet it shriveled and it looked like Rubina was a daughter of the half sister. Either way it's a pretty nice family for a $1K colt.

Just tells you what the weather was like :D

So yesterday we got so far as to give him a barn name, "Eddie", for Edgar Degas. The racing name is going to take a lot longer :D

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 pm

madelyn wrote:Thanks for the suggestions; I have until Jan 31 to finalize a name choice. For the pedigree gurus out there... his two half sibs that are/were "good" horses were both Storm Cat line. Is there anyone besides me that likes the pedigree matchup with Paynter better for this mare? Awesome Again is also from the Northern Dancer Line but I really like the doubling up of Relaunch. Seattle Slew is also present in this cross (see Bud Fox) and also Blushing Groom (see Zooming). The three foals by Tribal Rule were apparently not much that was a failed experiment for the Wygods. It is interesting that her 3/4 (?is that the right fraction) sister Rubina produced a stakes winner by Tribal Rule.

It's a clever breeding and one that doubles up on a lot of genetic influences that both sides of the pedigree seem to like.

Deputy Minister is a little different than most of the Northern Dancer tribe...different body type, more of a staying influence (other than French Deputy), and a clear liking for all things Domino. His broodmare sire's sire, Bunty Lawless, is bred on the same Hastings over Domino cross as War Relic, Relic, In Reality, and Relaunch. If you add more Domino, especially through the mare Alcibiades, by Stimulus, you get runners. Buckpasser, Double Jay, Nodouble, Sir Ivor, Spy Song, Wise Exchange...these all pop up over and over with Deputy Minister's best runners and the common factor is a big concentration of Domino.

So it might not be Storm Cat, per se...but Domino (via Crimson Satan) that your mare's family was picking up on.