Keeneland November My Recap

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Keeneland November My Recap

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 am

Oh misery.. I was rushing to get to Keeneland Thursday morning. I ran out to the barn to do the morning medication on my weanling colt's small eye infection. Somehow he had, just minutes earlier, ripped away most of the skin across the top of his head and got it pushed down to his nose. So 2 hour wait for the vet, two hours to help with the stitching etc. and get it wrapped, since the vet was here x-ray a knee healing from surgery 7 weeks ago for a progress report etc. So I got to Keeneland at 2:30 and the sale was OVER. So many no bids and outs.

I had only arranged the one day, really, to be away from the horses in training so I had to do some fancy footwork to get to the sale on Friday. My purse was now considerably lightened by the vet bill on Thursday. I was intent on getting a pal for my weanling colt. Fortunately for me (unfortunately for sellers) there were a lot of RNA(0) babies so I focussed on the consignment with the most. I picked up #4398 a cute little Birdstone colt. I love his pedigree. He has a wise eye and is a really good citizen. Very correct and straight, just small with a worm potbelly. Also against one of my tenets, he is a gray. Well he is not gray yet, he's a bay with the telltale white hairs. He is out of a Tapit mare.

Now to find a name. I am open to suggestions.. Humorously, I like Graybird, since it is a play on Greybeard the pirate and I stole him out back for $500....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Keeneland November My Recap

Postby mehile » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Congrats on your purchase, what a steal! I hope your other colt heals quickly.

My Birdstone colt has a wonderful disposition also. At least Birdstone makes up with the good brains for where he lacks in height to pass along. I like the name Graybird.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Sometimes things happen for a reason... I think Birdstone's the best value sire out there. Hope he comes along for you.

Wish I was there for the back end of the sale - couldn't believe nothing was selling. Great for buyers who can pinhook yearlings. One mare I liked in particular may have come home.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:53 am

jm you got one?? Certainly there were a LOT of bargains.

I am stymied by Calumet's business model - all those mares-in-foal with breedback seasons and babies that went zero or $1K from all those stallions they have. My rider picked up two by Raison d'Etat at the September sale. There were Aikenites, Grey Swallows, Producers, Bal a Balis, and Raison d'Etats etc etc aplenty all of the last few days.

The dam of the colt I bought was purchased by Calumet for $40K in foal to Old Fashioned. They sold that baby for $1700 and bred her back to Raison d'Etat. They sold that baby for $4K and bred her to Birdstone. I got this one after RNA(0). In the paperwork I got, where it has "mare was bred back to" it says "mare died". Boy what a run of bad luck on that one! From my perspective, the dam was stakes placed, and her 3 yo filly just won two in a row (MCL and NW2CL) at Keeneland. I have always really liked Birdstone, even though he is really a bit small.

My "little" Stormy Atlantic filly is my best two year old so far in the talent, standing up to training, soundness categories. Small can be precocious. Now if I can only get her in a race. They over fill (22 entries yesterday for Friday) and the meet ends Sunday.. there is no money for a CAL bred at Turfway so she will come to the farm Monday either way.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:09 am

No - I contacted a consignor to maybe pick one up, but just haven't had time to finish the deal. I need to do a little more due diligence. I;ve done it before but it's hard doing sight unseen.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am

I would have helped in you needed it!