Sales page question

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Sales page question

Postby mehile » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 am

When you're looking at a sales page for a younger horse (weanling through 2yr old) and it says broodmare prospect at the bottom does that mean that the horse in question probably has an injury that will keep them from racing or the racing prospect is just implied?

madelyn

Re: Sales page question

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:54 am

I will try to word this carefully since it is not true in all cases. If the filly is of racing age or will be, and is being sold at Keeneland, she must have sales x-rays to be listed in the catalog as a racing prospect. Else she has to sell as a broodmare prospect. Possibilities can be that the filly got some kind of injury so when the vet got there to start the pre-sale x-rays they started where the injury was to see if there was a show-stopper, and quit because there was. Or the seller just did not want to pay for x-rays because the horse was suffiiciently unimpressive they worried about getting that $500 back on top of everything else.

This is where you just Have to Be There. You can head to the back walking ring when the filly comes in and track down the consignor to see what info they have. They can usually tell you what is going on and often will tell if there is a reserve and how much. I've seen weanlings that had broken sesamoids. You just Never Know.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

mehile
Maiden Special Weight

Postby mehile » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm

If it's a colt does that mean he also has to have the pre-sale x-rays or is it just the fillies? Also what if a coming yearling filly has neither at the bottom, race prospect or broodmare prospect?

I've never been to the sales before but we lost our Peintre Celebre broodmare recently. I've been mulling over the idea of going to find a new mare. My preference would be a mare in foal. I doubt though I'd be able to afford the ones I have short listed so I'd probably be looking mostly at newly retired fillies. Just good to know what I'm getting into. Thanks for the reply.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Colts too I thought you were just asking about fillies. Colts and geldings would need x-rays to be racing prospects.

It has been my experience that the sound fillies that could still run bring more than their broodmare value. If I can help you at all at the sale just drop me a private message.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....