Farmsworth getting out

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Farmsworth getting out

Postby serenarider » Tue May 24, 2005 9:43 am

I had said in a post about 3 weeks ago that they were getting out. There is a article in this weeks times saying that yep they are. My question is how bad do you think this will mess up the OBS sales for the rest of the year. According to the article they are putting about 150 yearlings and god knows how meny brood mares in. But all horses will go.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Tue May 24, 2005 9:46 am

I don't understand why a dispersal should mess up the sales. We get dispersals in the Kentucky sales pretty often and the effect is usually beneficial. If anything, I would think that the addition of more quality stock might draw additional shoppers.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri May 27, 2005 4:20 pm

hi LSB

Regarding the Farnsworth Farms dispersal you wrote "...I would think that the addition of more quality stock might draw additional shoppers."

I agree...but unfortunately most of their mares will be in foal to the Farnsworth stallions...Double Honor...Line In The Sand...Suave Prospect etc etc etc...OUCH !

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Fri May 27, 2005 5:20 pm

Well FOS, that's always the rub with dispersals, isn't it?

On the other hand Farnsworth was the home of Jewel Princess and Beautiful Pleasure. If someone could pick up a mare from those families for a reasonable price because she was in foal to the "wrong" stallion, it might be worth it to lose a year.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri May 27, 2005 8:41 pm

hi LSB

Fair comments.

Best to you.

Respectfully

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:13 pm

I also heard the "rumor" that Farnsworth would be dispersing when I was in Ocala last month.

I wonder if their dispersal is what resulted in the poor buyers showing at the OBS that I've been hearing about?

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:18 pm

I wonder if their dispersal is what resulted in the poor buyers showing at the OBS that I've been hearing about?

From what I know they made there minds up before this years sales. But God knows that this years sales in fla need some buyers :roll: The 2 year old sales were well if you had a horse in there you lost your A$$ Lets pray that the yearling sale in Aug shows some promise;)

myheartsezyes
Maiden Special Weight

Postby myheartsezyes » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm

FOS wrote:hi LSB

Regarding the Farnsworth Farms dispersal you wrote "...I would think that the addition of more quality stock might draw additional shoppers."

I agree...but unfortunately most of their mares will be in foal to the Farnsworth stallions...Double Honor...Line In The Sand...Suave Prospect etc etc etc...OUCH !

Respectfully
What is wrong with Suave Prospect? We bred Umpeedeetle who has just boosted her earnings to I believe 800,000.00 , we have a half who won first time out and is stake placed who is two and a full in the belly to Umpeedeetle, as well bought a mare in foal to Suave But you know to each is own.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:47 pm

hi myheartsezyes

You ask "What is wrong with Suave Prospect?"

Absolutely nothing...he was one heck of a race horse...just a notch below the Top...he just couldn't get by Thunder Gulch.

As a sales sire though...arguably he leaves a lot to be desired. His offspring and mares in-foal don't seem to benefit by his presence as a sire or an in-foal sire...

...regardless, Suave Prospect is one of those very nice, under-the-radar kind of racehorse sires.

Congrats on breeding Umpateedle...and best of luck with all your thoroughbred ventures.

Respectfully