DT Saratoga & NY Breeders Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:37 am

To assist social coordinators, here's a list of tentative schedules so far...

Monicabee Sat. 13th and some sales days
Reenci possible day trips and Travers weekend
Gerry Mon. 15th all day, possibly late Sun the 14th
Doublete Mon. 15th all day, possibly late Sun the 14th
Crystal Sat. 13th, Sun 14th, possibly Fri. 12th and Mon 15th
TBLady Possible Sat 13th, Sun 14th, Mon 15th
Timex generally available aft 5 PM w/days and all day w/ends
Madelyn Possible Mon. 8th - Sat. 13th
Pembroke Weds. 10th-Thurs. 11th
Don Baker ???
Pete ???
Joe flexible Sat. 6th - Sun 21st.
HurleyNYC Weds 10th - Sun 14th

If I've got someone's schedule wrong, or I'm missing anyone - please let me know and I'll correct and re-post! I am so sorry I can't make it for a Tuesday happy hour. Was thinking about it, and how about this: FT pavilion happy hour on Weds. 10th and then track breakfast on Thursday 11th? And to follow-up for people arriving later, how about Saturday 13th happy hour - maybe this time at the Parting Glass for a change of scene, and then a Monday 15th trackside breakfast? My thinking was that the two pre-sale (NY breeders premier and FT preferred) happy hours would allow us to meet and make arrangements to re-group to window shop the next day. The trackside breakfasts would be on sale days. Also, the two "sets" of dates would accommodate most people in our Saratoga group. Ideas, opinions, comments welcome.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:42 am

hey guys,
I just need a heads up on what time the NYB sale starts, I left my catalog at the barn. I'm still tossing in my head the 11th,12th,13th or 12th,13,14th.

It looks like I may just be there 12th-13th. That time and 1/2 is just too tempting on sunday.

Do we have a meeting point at this time, or will that come later?

Crystal

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:59 am

Crystal,

It starts at 7:30 PM.

Thursday and Friday, August 11 and 12th. Some of the consignors will arrive Monday eve for all day showing beginning Tuesday.

Will be held at Yaddo Show Grounds on Union Avenue close to the racetrack.

http://www.nybreederssales.com

Hope this helps!

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:04 am

I think I have most everyone's cell phone number (including Pete's, who will be around for FT preferred and the NY breeders' sale; I am still missing Don Baker's - though he may not be planning a visit). This weekend I will prepare the list and forward it to the group. Hope to see many of you there!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:56 am

does anyone know of any hotels that still have rooms available?? I know its mad late, but my place to crash fell through. I may just be up on friday if I can't find a place to crash.

okay is this yaddo show ground on the same road as the f-t sales pavillion? over near the OK track?

who will be around for cocktails friday night?

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:16 am

11th and 12th? Book says NY Bred Yearlings Aug 14th-15th. Which is correct?
Fins to the Left....

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:47 am

Hi Crystal,

it looks like your friend at Fort Christopher's is consigning at both the New York Breeders Sales Co Premier Yearling Sale and the Fasig Tipton Preferred Yearling Sale. The New York Breeders sale is being held on Aug. 11 and Aug. 12 at the Yaddo Show Grounds on Union adjacent to the Oklahoma race track (part of the Saratoga Race Track grounds). FT-Preferred sale is on Aug. 14 and 15th.

TBLADY, I think you're looking at the book for Fasig Tipton Preferred sale (which in the past I've heard referred to simply as the "Preferred" sale). That sale is on Aug. 14 and 15. I think for the most part on this particular thread people have used NYB or NYB sales co to refer to the New York Breeders sales co. which is on Aug. 11 and Aug. 12!

hurleynyc
Maiden Special Weight

Postby hurleynyc » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:53 am

May I respectfully suggest that for news on this topic (e.g. social arrangements, etc) we all switch over to the General Discussion Board, where there is a thread entitled "WHO IS UP AT SARATOGA?" Since the topic is so similar - let's work on one page.... only one set of messages to check. Hope this is OK... we are setting up dates over there, and I still need cell # from some people (I've requested on that thread)... so please check that thread for further info and posts... just a suggestion.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:25 pm

Katie,

Hip #378 by Judge TC out of Shes My Choice did not sell-19K was bought back

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:29 am

OK...I didn't make it to the NYB sale. but I did watch it via computer and boy am I glad I didn't waste my time. Is it me or was the sale poorly attended? (yes I would have like the chance to meet all of you and that would have been the highlight...)

However it looked like some damn nice horse flesh went acoss the ring real cheap!!!! I know as someone who is looking at a very tiny picture on the computer, and the horses catalog page its not possible to see conformation flaws or movement issues...but DAMN!

I think I counted 39 not sold( or buy back) horses listed on Monday night out of the first 97 entries..is this normal?

someone tell me how much fun they had cause I'm not feeling too good right now as a person looking to sell NY breds!

ALSO...need an overall impression of the Wheelaway Foals and the Freud foals.
Fins to the Left....

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:43 am

Well I, for one, had a blast, but I was not a seller. I posted elsewhere, the first night of the NYB sale is the only night I went, but the buyers were very scarce. It was pitiful. I asked one of the organizers how many buyers registered for the sale and did not get an answer. But it was the first year.. maybe they will improve. They required buyers to register for approval three days before the sale, but wanted cash on the spot... weird rules. You should let people register the day of the sale if they have to pay on the spot... for heaven's sake what are they going to do? Stiff you? Also, I take credit cards for horses I sell... why couldn't they? Cash or Certified funds? How do you know what the horse you are buying will go for? And yup I would love to carry more than ten grand around... the IRS right on my tail... they need some business lessons...
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi TBLADY....it was pretty sparse wasn't it? Before the sale actually started, it was pretty full. After the first 10 or so, people started leaving! Maybe they were just curious to see how the bidding went. I sat next to some people who bid on a lot of horses and I think got one bought. I thought there were some very nice looking horses. I didn't inspect many because I wasn't buying...but the ones I saw were nice. The sale was advertising that the big buyers were there, but the only people I saw with deep pockets were the Ramseys who sat next to me for a few minutes. I don't know all the big buyers by sight so there could have been more. I didn't look real close at the Wheelaways or the Frueds so other then to tell you that at lot of people seemed to be looking at the Frueds, I can't really say much about them. I agree with Madelyn...cash should always be welcome even if you didn't pre- register. Even the rinky dink local horse sale takes checks from people they have never seen before and they get more for most of the horses! A credit card set up would have been easy to set up. I was so hoping this would go over well. Now, I wonder who will want to send their horses next year?

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Ageecee- I went and looked at the filly. She toes out left front, but other than that, looks very much like your mare (body wise). Bay with 4 socks though, don't know where she got all that white from!!! Very good size. She was being checked out by pinhookers when I was there, and I was surprised that she didn't sell. I thought she'd go for around $30K. But the whole sale (including FT) was just plain weird.

TBLAdy- Don't know about the Wheelaways, but I checked out the Freud colts. Didn't look at the fillies, but did go and look at all the colts. The May babies looked immature, but the March babies were all much more developed. Very nice overall. Nice looking athletes.
Racing and retraining.

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Hi Folks,

I just returned from Saratoga last night.

Doublette you’re right, but understated because the sales were more than weird. Sorry I missed you in Saratoga but my cell was DOA for a while. Happily, I met SymRanch and I spoke with Hurley and Joe but we didn’t get to meet.

I don't know how many, but in either sale there were RNA prices that were just for show, often without a single live bid. Even 5 digit RNA prices may not have had a live bid. I also believe that there were a number of lots that 'sold' but are in the same hands that brought them to the sale.

A sure way to tell that the RNA's were for show is when you are offered a horse for less than 1/2 the RNA. I was offered several at both sales. In one case I was offered a colt for $6k that had RNA'd over $20K. He wasn't worth it and I don't believe that he had any live bids (else he would likely have been sold to that live bidder).

I don't believe it to be a coincidence that most of the RNAs in the preferred sale were between $5k and $20K. $5k RNAs probably had no reserve, but the others could be bid up to $20k without extra cost to the seller and didn't need (or as I believe in many cases) to have a live bid at all (because the consignor and auctioneer fees are $1,000 minimum).

This is REAL important! The MARKET has made a fast turnaround. Just before the FT July yearlings sale, pin hookers made it known that they were going bid only on those horses that met their strict criteria and leave others alone. That criteria is LARGE, heavily MUSCLED, BIG yearlings that scope and x-ray well. It seems that they will accept some minor flaws. In these sales, if the yearling passed muster, the bidding was acceptable if not strong. If your foal was well made and without size, you were lucky to have a single bid.

I was shocked at the number of yearlings that were 2yo size, and how many looked as if they were the results of steroids. One particular filly I had seen in May that had good bone and flesh but a weak body and several minor flaws (and poor feet) was sold at the FT sale with massive muscle, deep cut hip and shoulder and trim through the barrel. She sold well. I’m amazed ( :wink: ) at how much she improved since May (if she sold as she looked in May I doubt that there would have been any bids).

Many physical faults seem to be discounted if the size and mass are there. Sadly, I believe that the small breeder may be faced with using steroids if they want to compete in the sales market.

I had two fillies in the FT Sale. Both were very correct and well made, but neither had size (average or a little less). The Rock And Roll, hip #281, was also hurt by her sire and a less than perfect scope (B+, not A). She was RNA’d at $5k because I had no reserve. In other years I believe she would have brought @$15k. The Matty G, hip #400, is a stunning filly and brought $9,000 without an RNA. In 2001 I would have RNA’d her at $29,999 and would have expected her to bring @$35k. The Matty G doesn’t have a big pedigree, but huge prices were paid for white pages on certain individuals. These fillies are both NY bred.

I have photos of both fillies and I’ll send them to anyone who requests via email, [email protected]. If you’re selling, I think you should see these fillies (the photos are large) to get an idea of how nice a foal can be and NOT sell well in the current environment. I’m not complaining, the market is what it is, but if you’re breeding to sell or have young stock, you need to know what you’re up against.

Regards,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Thanks Katie.......