12/4, WA: WTBA Mixed Sale at Emerald Downs

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Waquoit
Allowance Winner

12/4, WA: WTBA Mixed Sale at Emerald Downs

Postby Waquoit » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:20 pm

If anyone is in or near WA state...many nice TBs selling here for what seems to be short money.
Several mares went for $200-300 last year & in 2003.
These are good prospects needing good homes!

What: WTBA Winter Mixed Sale

When: Sunday, December 4, 2005 at 11AM

Where:
Morris J. Alhadeff Sales Pavilion
Emerald Downs, Auburn, Washington

More info:

Catalog: http://www.washingtonthoroughbred.com/S ... nter05.htm

Previous sales results:
http://www.washingtonthoroughbred.com/S ... WSrslt.htm

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:26 pm

There were some decent-looking yearlings at the sale. Prices on average were not high, with few going for over 10K.

I went to see what some of the Washington stallions were producing and get a feel for the horses out here. There were some good-looking atheletes there. I have to say that the Slewdeledo's were most striking, and the ones by Liberty Gold also looked like runners.

Some looked like they had just been brought in from pasture and brushed off, others were elaborately prepared. Appearance seemed to count for more than page here, perhaps because few of them had much under the first or second dam.

When the broodmares came out, that's when things got sad. If I hadn't brought my husband along as protection against sentimental decisions, it would have been hard not to go home with a couple of the broodmares who were selling for $200 to $1,000, and not old mares, either. A gentleman behind me sat aghast as the hammer fell on a mare at $700. "I just wrote a check for $1,500 for the stallion", he said.

His other mare sold for only $300, though her yearling had sold for $7,500 earlier, a good-looking colt. He had not set a reserve.

Logically, some of the mares who went for nearly nothing had knocks against them: older, or small or pregnant on a very late cover (or too early - one was bred Jan 15 and was huge). Some had been left barren by a stallion who proved to be infertile (Dixieland Diamond) ; and if that followed a problematic conception history, that was the final straw for some.

The lesson about those shocking prices is that in a market that is already regional, the bottom of the barrel is deep indeed.

On a brigher note, the sale was well attended and there were some of the yearlings I would happily have left with. Saratoga it wasn't, more like Timonium, but it was clean the auctioneer team very professional.

For some reason, though, the volume of the sound in the walking ring was way too loud, and the babies were freaking more than necessary. On the other hand, going into the ring they were all quite calm because it was a respite by comparison. Perhaps the setup was intentional, but its hard to evaluate a horse when it is walking on its hind legs. Ones that went through that without fussing got extra high marks from me.

suzyd
2yo Maiden

Postby suzyd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Ha! I had my husband along too, or there would have been a few more
mares coming home with us. I went to purchase one mare, and stuck
to my convictions. We purchased the Strawberry Road daughter
AMCHIKA. The family is wonderful and she is a striking solid black mare with a kind and regal way. She and I must have had a joint guardian Angel on this one, as I was able to purchase her for $300.
She is on her way to BC to "get under lights" and will be bred to
FISHER POND.

monicabee
Allowance Winner

Postby monicabee » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:05 am

Glad to know someone walked away from the sale happy!

I remember being astounded that she went for so little. I mean, Strawberry Road, strong producing female family, there was a lot to like there.

suzyd
2yo Maiden

Postby suzyd » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:08 pm

Great observations regarding the sale monicabee.
This sale needs a change. The weather is miserable, and it is
too close to Christmas.
Someone of mentioned having it as the 2nd day of the Summer sale.
Did you notice also, when the mares started that they brought in the 2nd string auctioneer, and
he wasn't very good, and they really quit giving any powerful information about any of the entries. Pretty much like setting them up to fail...
California based stallions did very well.
I might add that when you nominate a yearling for the Summer Select sale, if it does not make that sale, the deposit to nominate carries over and it is automatically nominated to the winter sale...so, kinda of the
best of the rest.
I might add that the stallion base in Oregon is very strong and many of
the nicer yearlings were from that base.

Jolene
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Jolene » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:46 am

suzyd wrote:Ha! I had my husband along too, or there would have been a few more
mares coming home with us. I went to purchase one mare, and stuck
to my convictions. We purchased the Strawberry Road daughter
AMCHIKA. The family is wonderful and she is a striking solid black mare with a kind and regal way. She and I must have had a joint guardian Angel on this one, as I was able to purchase her for $300.
She is on her way to BC to "get under lights" and will be bred to
FISHER POND.

Funny, Suzy, as Michael made a point to show me her page and said "Can you believe this one went for so low?" Glad she's with you!

We did not attend, as we bought another mare at the Oregon sale...I never expected it to be as bad as it was, however.

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

Postby StealingKat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:53 pm

I'm glad she went to a great home. I had already bought my mares for the season so nothing came home with us. Glad she's going to Fisher Pond as well nice horse! Jennifer is also easy to work with. Be interesting to see his kids this spring.
Always bet on the grey!!

magic code
Starters Handicap

Postby magic code » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:11 pm

We were selling and were very disappointed. Had one of the naughty babies which actually worked in her favor as she's a terrible walker. Brought more than double what we thought.

Regarding 2nd string auctioneer: ROSES IN MAY'S half sister sold, and he mentioned it as an afterthought. True, she was no longer in foal, but $600 for her? Jeez.

I felt terrible for the Ito The Hammer yearling who didn't even draw a bid.

Don't know how they can go next year without changing SOMETHING. Too many people lost too much money on this sale. With the entry fees and commission, not to mention paying the help to show your horses, it added up to quite a loss.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 am

What do you feel should be done to improve the sale? Is there some way to draw buyers or other ideas?

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:52 am

Set a minimum for one thing, above meat price. If the horses can't bring that they shouldn't even be bred, the owners should find other homes for them as pets or hunter broodmares or something. Advertise and I don't know if it is open or select but if not make it more select. And move the date jeez, who wants to lay out big bucks in Dec.?? And sit inthe cold to do it? Put it in late Sep or Oct. (depending on when other sales are) BEFORE people start thinking about Xmas, tax bills, stallion services, etc.

And of course hire better auctioneers although I suppose they can only read the information provided them so if the buyer doesn't write up a rosy account of the horse they don't have much to go on.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:07 am

The washington sales pavillion is set up exactly like Keenelands, no one sits out in the cold, the auctioneers arealso the same as Keenelands so I don't agree that hiring better auctioneers is a solution, the dates are arranged around other sales now and it is a mixed sale. The people who consign their horses may be having to sell that is why they are letting them go for such a small return still better than paying more bills so I don't believe raising the minimum is ans answer. Maybe if they don't sell they will be unable to meet the horses needs correctly but it still better to sell at a loss than to starve them. Washington Thoroughbred breeders advertise in all major Tb markets for the sale. Need more solutions. Look at what also happened in Texas.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:51 pm

Why is the solution to not being able to feed a horse to let it starve? :shock: People free lease, give away, euthanize horses all the time. And when you are dealing with cheap horses you have to know that selling them on makes them very vulnerable to ending up at the feedlot (next stop, truck to slaughterhouse if some kind soul doesn't spot them and bail them out). I'd rather free lease a horse I cared about if I couldn't afford to feed it so I would know it would be safe and if conditions changed in the home I could go get it and find a new place.

Unless the barn area is all enclosed (is it?) SOMEbody is going to be out in the cold for awhile!

But seriously any horse that can't bring meat value at a registered sale SHOULD NOT BE BRED. (that goes for any breed) Because it is unlikely their foals will do much better and why pay a stallion fee that the mare isn't even worth?

So I guess the real answer is get better bred stock people WILL want to lay out money for. Or sell them at a different sale at a better time of year (economics wise).
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

suzyd
2yo Maiden

Postby suzyd » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:09 pm

I have contemplated this thread for a few days now.....
Bottom line is that there were NO BUYERS.

For the most part, the horses that did not get bids over $200 or $300 were really decent individuals. It was not a matter of quality.
For instance, a Stakes Placed young mare, healthy, in foal to Liberty Gold who stands for $2500. and who's foals are selling and winning, could not get a bid to 2k ! Why?

2nd point....the sale was moved once, to October (very close to Barrett's..Oct sale....another big mistake (make that huge) I think it
was the week after, but not sure...anyway the excuse that they gave for that failure was that the Canadians did not have thier bonus checks yet and that is why the sale was moved back to the hinges of winter hell.
And, if you look at the sales results, Canadian buyers did buy, including a 16k broodmare, a 8k broodmare, etc....but they didn't buy yearlings to the extent they have in the past.

Interesting point also....The British Columbia mixed sale is in September, it was a good sale, and hmmmmm, they didn't have their bonus checks yet, but they certainly purchased horses.......

Anyway, that's enought to spark some discussion. :idea:

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

sales

Postby StealingKat » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:25 pm

The sales were pretty good here in BC. Suzy is totally correct bonus checks were not issued yet. Hmm.

Another problem seems to be that a few breeders are bailing at the moment so we are seeing great horses go for next to nothing. Why would you even go to the sales if you are being given horses?

I put a mare in the Keenland sale just to cover my bills. She is not a mare that I wanted to sell at all. Let me tell you it's breaking my heart. But nothing else is selling so someone had to move on to pay the bills.

Sometimes this game is rough. But we always hope for next year. The sales have been odd this year without a doubt. I was stunned that Alberta did'nt do better. The KY breds sold OK but I doubt that money was made on them. California did'nt fair much better. Do we just have too many horses out there? Are buyers getting better deals away from auction so they are not attending?
Guess we just need to wait and see...
Always bet on the grey!!

Jolene
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Jolene » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:01 am

suzyd wrote:I have contemplated this thread for a few days now.....
Bottom line is that there were NO BUYERS.

For the most part, the horses that did not get bids over $200 or $300 were really decent individuals. It was not a matter of quality.
For instance, a Stakes Placed young mare, healthy, in foal to Liberty Gold who stands for $2500. and who's foals are selling and winning, could not get a bid to 2k ! Why?

2nd point....the sale was moved once, to October (very close to Barrett's..Oct sale....another big mistake (make that huge) I think it
was the week after, but not sure...anyway the excuse that they gave for that failure was that the Canadians did not have thier bonus checks yet and that is why the sale was moved back to the hinges of winter hell.
And, if you look at the sales results, Canadian buyers did buy, including a 16k broodmare, a 8k broodmare, etc....but they didn't buy yearlings to the extent they have in the past.

Interesting point also....The British Columbia mixed sale is in September, it was a good sale, and hmmmmm, they didn't have their bonus checks yet, but they certainly purchased horses.......

Anyway, that's enought to spark some discussion. :idea:

This isn't a new problem, though. If you remember a couple years back, Suzy, I bought that black-type producer in foal to Libery Gold for just under $1000 at the winter mixed sale. I sold the resulting foal at the Oregon sale, and didn't get the stud fee for him. Perfectly correct individual too. I couldn't have asked for a nicer colt.

This is just as bad as its gotten, I think.