buy from auction or trainer?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

buy from auction or trainer?

Postby jumper77 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:09 am

I'll be shopping for a new h/j prospect soon, and wanted to know your opinion of where to look first. I want something between 2 & 4 yrs, sound and cheap. Don't want to spend more than 2K. I would think shopping from trainers would be better than an auction, since trainers need to lose the slowpokes in order to make room for horses that will win. I do know you can get really good deals towards the end of a meet.
I know of a couple of open sales here in Louisiana, but aren't a lot of those horses still racing prospects (therefore more $$)?
If that's the case and trainers would be a better bet, how do you get in contact with them? I know you can't just walk up on the backside...
Is there somewhere trainers list horses that need to be sold?
The Fairgrounds in New Orleans used to be a great place to shop, but Katrina turned that place into a lake, so I'm not sure they will have things dried up in time this year. Any other ideas of places to look in Louisiana?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:40 am

If you buy from a trainer, VET the horse. That is the difference between buying from an auction and buying from a trainer. I retrain OTTB's and have had many varied experiences with horses from trainers who swore on graves the horse was SOUND.. only to find a bit later the reason he couldn't race was a big chip, OCD, etc. etc. etc. leading one to believe the trainer either a) didn't ever look for a physical reason or b) was not truthful about the horse. There is pressure for the horse to leave "immediately" - don't trust anything but a vet report. I even had a trainer who tapped a horse the morning that I was going to see it.. found out later from the vet.. of course I pay a lot less, but definitely the INTENT was there to deceive.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:29 am

Actually you can vet the horse at an auction. You can't buy impulsively that's all.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:24 am

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to imply that most cataloged auctions have some vet info on the premises already about the horse. You still have to have a vet LOOK at the x-rays, etc., but if it is a good sale they are already done. Whereas when you buy from a trainer there is absolutely NO guarantee.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:03 pm

I always do a vet check anyway. I've seen what happens when people don't get the horse vetted. I actually wouldn't be opposed to getting something with a minor injury that would heal completely. I've had lots of good horses with splints and sprains and such. But I would definitely vet the horse first... just as long as I know what I'm getting into...

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:27 pm

Have you checked the Canter sites?

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:13 pm

I LOVE the canter websites. The closest one, however, is in Texas. Unfortunately, right now I'm looking to buy a little more local. I know there are tracks in Lafayette, LA and New Orleans (which could still be covered in sludge) but how do you get to the trainers who need to unload some horses? I know a lot of it is just being in the right place at the right time. And trainers don't really have time to stop and talk unless they have a horse that needs to go ASAP. So how do you find the trainers that need to sell?

halo
Starters Handicap

Postby halo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:20 pm

You could go to your local tracks, and check at their HBPA office. They often have bulletin boards either there or in the track kitchen that you could post a notice for what you are looking for. Im in Florida, and we always have people coming thru looking for horses ready for new careers. Ive never had a problem selling a horse to a show/pleasure home right off the track, before I was even able to ship it home.