Keeneland... end of the sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Keeneland... end of the sale

Postby madelyn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:48 am

Please... let me explain.

First of all, there are no killer buyers at Keeneland and you are NOT going to pick up a horse for $200.

There was one FABULOUS value yesterday afternoon, a young Phone Trick mare in foal to Sligo Bay that RNA'd at $4K and the pal I was helping missed getting her outside for $2K. The slutty prices on mares are not a reflection on the mares but on the market's perception of the stallions they are in foal to... her Sligo Bay short yearling RNA'd right after a $8K. It's not the Phone Trick mare the audience hated, but Sligo Bay. The mare's dam, much older, sold right before her for $9,000.

It seems folks are hovering hoping to make a "killing" buying the foal in the box and getting the mare free. So many of the stallion promoters are trying to slide their horses' offspring out into the market by offering mares who are much better than the horse they are in foal to. By dueling in this manner, the mare gets the shaft. Such has always been the feminine curse....

Another young filly yesterday shot up to $177K, seemingly inexplicably. However, the catalog showed her as unraced, but the announcer had an update. Since the book was printed, the filly raced three times, won twice including a stakes, and earned over $100K. Sometimes you gotta be there to understand what goes on.

Stallion prospect prices were strong all week with several foreign buyers here specifically trying to take home stallions. I saw the ugliest Seeking the Gold 5yo horse yesterday (he was so narrow in the front his knees touched) bring a ridiculous sum. I think better colts are running and could be claimed for much less.. and provide a stallion prospect that actually made it to the racetrack.

I wish there was some kind of breed-to-sell repellent we could apply to all the stallions the market so people would stop sending mares to them.

I went to Jonabell to inspect Street Cry because I have a mare going to him... he is a nice big horse... but thank heavens my mare has a nice front end, his is disappointing. Shuttling does not agree with him, he behaved quite mean. Kafwain is a monster but his left fore is horribly offset while his right is back at the knee and toes out awkwardly. He is coarse, also. We looked at E Dubai, who is more nicely made but just not impressive. I came home and hugged my two boys who are so nicely conformed with no such problems... but I wish I could afford a barn like the stallion barn at Jonabell.

Being the data junkie that I am, I will feed all of these results into the new database I have created in attempt to produce a "stinker" list of stallions to not waste a year of a mare's life on....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:38 pm

Madelyn, what was the hip# of the Phone Trick mare? Im sitting here with book four and I can't find a Phone Trick mare in foal to Sligo Bay in it.

With regard to Princess Sweet who sold for 177K, she was advertised heavily pre-sale as having won a NY stakes race in her second start. Also, another announcement was made when her her half-sister sold in book one (for 255K.) I think anyone who's ever been to sale understands that there are often updates that may change a great deal about the desirability of the horse being offered.

So, did you buy anything?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Sorry, my bad, it wasn't Sligo Bay it was Richter Scale..

#2181 and 2182. Her dam was #2180.

Nijinsky
Allowance Winner

Postby Nijinsky » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Kudo's to your original post Madilyn

Great insights :D
I try not to listen to the voices in my head.
But sometimes they have such good ideas

LSB
Grade II Winner

Re: Keeneland... end of the sale

Postby LSB » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:11 pm

madelyn wrote:There was one FABULOUS value yesterday afternoon, a young Phone Trick mare in foal to Sligo Bay that RNA'd at $4K and the pal I was helping missed getting her outside for $2K. The slutty prices on mares are not a reflection on the mares but on the market's perception of the stallions they are in foal to... her Sligo Bay short yearling RNA'd right after a $8K. It's not the Phone Trick mare the audience hated, but Sligo Bay. The mare's dam, much older, sold right before her for $9,000.

OK but...if the covering sire was what the buyers didn't want, why did the "much older" dam sell for a thousand more when she was also in foal to the same stallion?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 pm

I believe the dam was posted in red as "Not Pregnant".