Keeneland yearling sale Questions?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Slew83
Maiden Special Weight

Keeneland yearling sale Questions?

Postby Slew83 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Has there been any good race horses that have come out of the last couple days of the September Yearling Sales?

Why are the south American grade winning mares offspring(meaning yearlings) not selling that well?

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Slew83,

By inference I take your question to mean - can you get a good horse on the last few days of the Keeneland September Yearling sale or are the good horses all sold earlier in the sale. You also infer the question; can you buy a good cheap horse?

I can't tell you the names of day 12 or 13 SWs but yes, you can get a nice horse on any day at Keeneland if you select carefully. Consider these prices paid for 7 of the last 14 Derby winners at public auction:
Funny Cide (SARAUG) $22,000
War Emblem (KEESEP) $20,000 (day 6-7)
Real Quiet (KEESEP) $17,000 (day 4-5)
Silver Charm (OBSAUG) $16,500
Thunder Gulch (KEEJUL) $40,000
Go For Gin (FTKNOV 91) $32,000 (weanling)
Lil E. Tee (OBSAPR 91) $25,000 (2yo)
There are many more success stories of inexpensive horses that have been top runners.

I purchased a yearling filly for $2,000 out of the NY Breeder's Sale at Saratoga this past August for a client and they've received offers @$100,000 for her as a 2yo in training (8 months later).

South American SW mares that didn't race in North America are an unknown quantity. Buyers don't know the quality of the races or the competition so it's hard to value these mares.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms