Ringbone

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Ringbone

Postby Supernova » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:47 pm

A friend of mine has a 5 year old thoroughbred gelding who has been diagnosed with a fractured sesamoid and ringbone after a vet check. The gelding has been sound to ride W/T/C and jump in the short time they have had him, not showing any lameness. A slight bump around his pastern had been visible, but had never caused any alarm.

What are the options for this horses future? If he was to be kept as a companion (no riding) would the ring bone still continue to get worse? Is riding (even just walk or trot) even an option? Can something be done now to prevent the ringbone from progressing or will he just turn into an expensive vet bill?

He's such a nice looking friendly guy and so young, I would hate to see him to be put down or sent for meat. I wanted to know whether I could suggest him as a companion horse for somebody or whether that's just setting them up for an expensive project.

I've researched a little bit about ringbone, but any information from anyone who may have had their own experience with a horse with ringbone would be muchly appeciated.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Thu May 05, 2005 10:21 am

Ringbone can get worse, especially with jumping. As long as he's sound, he can be ridden, but no jumping.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

katydid
Yearling

Postby katydid » Mon May 09, 2005 11:28 am

Depends on the ringbone actually, he might still be ok for jumping so long as he's carefully monitored (as in vigilance about soreness, and I'd go a step further and monitor the progression via annual x-rays). In non articular ringbone a horse might not show any lameness after the initial inflammatory response. THe exception to this being that the bony protusions interfere with soft tissue. If it is *articular* ringbone, that is, involving the joint the horse is probably suitable only for pleasure riding (if that). If he's stumbling a lot, then I would not suggest that he be used for heavy riding . Low articular ringbone is the most severe as far as the different types of ringbone.

Protective measures such as corrective shoeing can help, I've heard good things about new balance shoes. I would recommend a supplement containing glucosamine and msm. Talk to a vet about the possibilities of Adequan injections. Another thing to remember is that kicking the horse out to pasture is the worst thing you can do, keep them working so long as they are comfortable...ringbone won't stop progressing just because the horse is not in work, in fact it may get worse, quicker.
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."