Hay

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

perryT200
Weanling

Hay

Postby perryT200 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:24 pm

In Southern IL I have a buddy with 30 acres of fenced pasture.

What's the best way to make money off of it and why?

I can run any livestock, or sow Orchard grass in the whole thing.

Just gimmie your best quess.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Re: Hay

Postby sulphurfire » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:08 pm

This previous year the United States imported 19% (1.67 billion dollars) of goat meat worldwide.
That leaves a lot of growth for producers in the United S.tates
Goats are not terribly difficult, as long as you start with good stock. Goats are primarily browsers, they will eat grass but prefer browse.I have a small herd of 5 nannies, 1 adult Billy and 1 juniior Billy. And I'm slowly growing it. The following is from a project proposal I have been writing.

My criteria on retention for breeding animals are as follows:

Low birth weights create less kidding issues. High fast weight gain without having to push high feed volumes creates animals that are quicker to be ready for sale.
Parasite resistance - With the development of resistance to modern antiparasitics, due to overuse combined with incorrect worming practices has led to a serious issue with goats that have low natural parasite resistance. Selection of naturally parasite resistant goats is of utmost importance.
Fertility- You want animals that do not just stand open in the field. If a doe cannot conceive naturally upon a normal estrous cycle she’s unproductive and needs to be culled from our program. Billies should at the minimal have scrotal circumference evaluated. If his assigned nannies do not conceive, then fertility check should be considered.
Confirmation- Soundness is essential to long term usefulness. In does udder structure is important. In billies another consideration to consider is if a breeding line seems to be predisposed to urinary calci.
Hardiness- The ability to thrive with minimal assistance from us. In other words the ability to thrive on primarily pasture settings, hoof rot resistant, seeks out forage, shelter, and water accordingly.
Mothering ability- The ability for our nannies to raise their kids without intervention. For example, doe 132 leaves her kids unattended and they die from predators or exposure she is not suitable.
Temperament- We want animals that are easy to handle. They don’t have to be tame, but will come when feed time is called, not aggressive. Even when in rut Billies should still be easily managed.

Any questions regarding goats please feel free to message me
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 am

That is very interesting!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:54 pm

Hay - heavy duty work for short periods. Animals - full time, sometimes 24/7
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.