Bowed Tendons and Training

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Um...Grady Sizemore can come to my pasture :lol: :lol:
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:58 pm

OH HECK NO!!! GRADY is MINE! lol He sure is sweeeeeet to look at thats for sure...
Fins to the Left....

ragsdaj1
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:05 pm

is grady unsound. I didn't know he was on the DL?

FancyHorse
Allowance Winner

Postby FancyHorse » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:30 pm

TBLADY wrote:You must have one hell of a facility to care for all of the injuried horses in the world who you say are not sound. I guess the efforts of some of the finest Vets in the world are all for not...since NONE of these horses could ever possibly be sound EVER. They should all be on pasture?

Are you sure you are from EARTH? You better check cause you live in some sort of dream world.

I broke my arm in 25 places beween my wrist and my elbow...I have 2 plates, 13 screws and started with 5 pins now only have 2 left. Outside of the removal of 3 pins I still have all of the hardware...and will for life. I still ride, drive, lift, throw a soft ball all things I did PRE INJURY...I consider myself SOUND. But according to you I'm not....because I have metal in my body for reinforcement...HUMMMM I'll call my surgeon and tell her (when shes done working on the Cleveland Cavs players, and Cleveland Browns and the Cleveland Indians players) She should just retire them as they will never be sound again...PICK OUT A PASTURE BOYS!

WHATEVER!

I SECOND THAT!!!!!!!!

EquisAmicas wrote:If your in SCal, go ask Jack VanBerg about running a horse with a bow . He tell you "A bow is a bow". Trouble on the horizon.
A bow is the first sign of damage and the worst is yet to come. I know that I will not run a horse with any visible signs of a bow, why , because I can..................Of course horses get sore. But there is a difference between getting sore and getting injured. There is always another sound horse to take the injured horses place. If its day money your after, your in the wrong business. Thats what the biggest problem in racing is. Gotta have that day money. Unless a horse is pulled and tested you could be riding a death warrant with all crap out there today(to deal with the injury not the soreness), its a shame.

Jack VanBerg! Oh please, I have not heard very good things about him from vets at the track that vet his horses! They say if the horse has broken a bone, he just puts them in the stall and leaves them their until they heal, no kind of medical treatment exspect bute! Also, we claimed a horse from him with severe laminitis!!! He ran the horse like that and never took care of his problem until it got so bad the horse can hardly walk! So, I don't want to hear anything from that guy! Also Soreness is caused by a problem!!! Not oh just because! If the horse got sore, then he has something going on that may not be seen by the naked eye, therefore he has some sort of an injury! I will agree with you about the money part, yes most people are in it for the money, but we can't change that! Also about their is always another sound horse to take an injured hroses place! Okay, #1 what if that horse can't run #2 what if that horse gets injured and sore #3 problems can be fixed, you just dont give a horse away because of a little problem, if it can be fixed, you work on it and make it better, you just dont say "oh! oh well, time to get another horse this one is sore" Look at all the time and money invested in each and every racehorse, you just can't toss them out like that, unless it is a must!!!!
"LIFE IS RACING, ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" -McQueen

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:35 pm

NO Grady is GGRREAT. played very well last night against the Cards... :)
Fins to the Left....

Codysmom55
Weanling

Re: Tendon Treatments

Postby Codysmom55 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 am

cewright wrote:I have been amazed at how effective stem cell treatment has been in helping horses with tendon injuies. My daughter is taking reining lessons on a horse that recovered from a very serious (formerly career ending) injury in 12 weeks.

www.vet-stem.com

I know this treatment is expensive and will not help every horse but recent advances in animal health care are mind-boggling. In the case of the horse my daughter is riding, the stem cells were extracted from the adipose tissue above its tail. They were then concentrated and reinjected at the site of the injury. Amazing stuff!

Hi cewright,

We just got the go ahead to put our yearling filly back into training, albeit very slow, training after treating her with the stem cell treatment. She was dianosed with OCD in her left hip and scope surgery was done at Texas A&M. At the time of the scope, bone marrow was drawn from her left hip, sent to Colorado State for culturing and then re-injected into the site. We are very encouraged as to her progress and you're right, the advances in equine medicine are amazing.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:51 am

I was just wondering of our new friend would think Ben Rothlesburger was unsound after his face plant into a sedan a few weeks ago. According to the STEELERS he will be just FINE to play.
Fins to the Left....