Sure Guard

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Sure Guard

Postby griff » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:14 pm

Has anyone had any success with repelents to keep biting flys away?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:39 pm

Nope, but the barn I keep my horse at uses fly predators which work amazingly well - I was in the barn 2 weeks ago, in shorts and a tank top (which looks funny with ankle high boots), no flies bothered me or my horse, although the mosquitos in the paddock had a banquet when I brought her in lol.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

ragsdaj1
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj1 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:43 am

griff there are some expensive products and inexpensive ones out there and they all work to some extent. I use to buy a couple gallons of the 50 dollar stuff and it is better than the cheaper brands, for the really bad days. Now I use a concentrate and mix my own because I use so much on my horses. I also add an once of skin-so-soft more for mosquitoes than flys and use it daily. The secret to any of these products is the residual build up and in my case, of daily use. Make sure use brush the spray like most directions say. Your not brushing it away, your brushing it in.
Last edited by ragsdaj1 on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FancyHorse
Allowance Winner

Postby FancyHorse » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:48 pm

There are a few things that work, other then fly spray or fly masks. At one barn I used to ride at, the had misting systems on the roof of the stalls that would mist out a fly replent every now and then that seemed to work great! Or what I use in my own stable is just a water misting system. It keeps the ground moist, the dust down, and the flys away! It only cost me about $30 for 11 feet of line!
"LIFE IS RACING, ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" -McQueen