Need ideas

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

joeangelo
Maiden Special Weight

Need ideas

Postby joeangelo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:00 pm

I've got a filly at the track that is a little different. Took her to run yesterday and had to scratch before we even got the call to go over. She usually washes out while trailering but, not yesterday. Rode up fine unloaded with no problems stood in the recieving barn for a few hours and then bam. More hustle and bustle going on and couldn't do anything with her at all. Throwing her head around and washing out. We even had the stabilizer on her, no help.
Aside from having to stable at the track, anyone have any ideas on how to calm her down. Maybe herbal or a horse whisperer.
She can run and thats what makes it even more frustrating. 4 starts with a win and 2 thirds.

Her sire we do know had to stable at the meet he was going to run in, so we know he wasn't a good shipper.

we'll try anything so thanks in advance.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:50 pm

B1 and Calcium can help and beer on the feed can have a relaxing effect :wink: .

Hmmm...here's an odd one for you we had one that weaved all the time and washed out once we shipped him in and we would put two people in the stall with him at all times until it was time to clean him up just patting him and keeping his mind occupied. He made a fabulous book rest :wink: His haul in schedule went like follows:

Hauled in way early (at least 6 hours)
Took a walk immediately after getting off trailer
Bath
More walking
Back to stall to commence harnessing of chi (as we referred to it when people asked what we were doing)
Get ready to go to paddock
When we had a receiving barn, we keeped him moving and as far away from other horses as possible (Remington has outside walking areas at their receiving barn)

Its not a schedule that will work for everyone, but we did notice that with each successive race he got better and better and more relaxed. It was just a matter of keeping his mind busy, but not freaking him out.

Good luck with your girl.
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

mrequine
Suckling

Postby mrequine » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:10 am

I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE WITH A FILLY OF MINE LAST YEAR I WAS TOLD TO TRY THIS PRODUCT CALLED MARE REPRO FOUND ON A WEBSITE CALLED horsesupport.com ask for ted it really works and is not that expensive a bag of this herb lasts 3-4 weeks.
GOOD LUCK..

emmad
Maiden Special Weight

Postby emmad » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 pm

A mare we race stands and shakes in the tie ups. The only way I found to prevent this was to actually take her best mate with her. With him there she stands like and angel and doesn't sweat up or anything. Maybe your girl needs her mate too?

joeangelo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby joeangelo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:25 pm

How about valerian root. Just did a search on herbs and that is what came up on the sites for calming.
However, I need something that will not test. I don't know if it will test in racehorses nut the website says it will test postitve for the AHSA and is banned. Indiana is no tolerance.

Taking her buddy is not something that can happen, she is 4 and has not been very near to her in almost two years.

I also tried horsesupport.com and my browser cannot find it.

Thanks

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:28 pm

You've got to really watch herbal products. Many of them are banned or will pop a false positive. :shock:
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

emmad
Maiden Special Weight

Postby emmad » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:24 pm

I forget that most horses where you are are boxed the majority of the time. Ours spend approx 6-8 hours out in the yards(small paddocks) and if weather is good are out all the time. Therefore they buddy up with the neighbour so easy for us to take a mate to the races :)
We raced a horse on a nerve tonic that worked for her but then didn't work on a different horse
Check out this page http://www.hiralabs.co.nz/hh-nervousness.html they are the people we got the nerve tonic from.

mrequine
Suckling

Postby mrequine » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:44 am

I am sorry the web site is horsupport.com and these herbs have been used many times and have never tested positive they are all natural and the guy has been around over 30 years read the testimonies.