Preparing for Sale

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

PlaytoWin
Newborn

Preparing for Sale

Postby PlaytoWin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:37 am

Hi-
I have a yearling colt that has been entered in a regional show/sale this upcoming fall and I do not have alot of experience prepping horses for sales (racehorses anyway) I would really appriciate any advice
we are about 75 days out from the sale now-give or take a week-I plan to start ponying him and putting aluminum plates on him in about 2 weeks-I have already started adding oil to his feed

1) he is a bit on the short side (about 14.2/14.3) his dam is about 15.2-1/2 & his sire about the same-the sales that I have attended and bought from-all of the horses look huge-other than being a bit short he is very correct and very pretty-He eats, well, like a horse his grain is a 50% cracked corn 50% rolled oats with molassas and soybean oil (for gloss) at about 3 cups a day (about 12 lbs a day) and he cleans up-Hay is a nice timothy/alfalfa mix and he consumes better than 20lbs of that a day he looks very well fed-any supplements ect that I should consider adding?

2) He truly is the spawn of Satan-very mouthy and hard to get along with-he gets handled on a very regular basis (2-3 times a day) he does not get hand fed (anything) and gets praise and disipline as needed ie-he bites he gets smacked (not head shy at all) he stands to be brushed he gets patted and treated like a useful member of society-He has never been "abused" in anyway I don't remember ever losing my temper with him-Ideas for handling him and keeping him "settled" at the event?

At the moment that is about what I have as far as what I may need help with anything will be apreciated though-Thank you

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:50 pm

Taylor Made is one of the largest consignors of sales Thoroughbreds, and there's an excellent article on their web site about their method of sale prep. You can find it here:

http://www.taylormadefarm.com/pubsales/default.htm

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Playtowin:

He truly is the spawn of Satan-very mouthy and hard to get along with-he gets handled on a very regular basis (2-3 times a day) he does not get hand fed (anything) and gets praise and disipline as needed ie-he bites he gets smacked (not head shy at all) he stands to be brushed he gets patted and treated like a useful member of society-He has never been "abused" in anyway I don't remember ever losing my temper with him-Ideas for handling him and keeping him "settled" at the event?

What I learned prepping yearlings:

1) When a horse swings its head around to nip/bite, or lifts a hind leg to kick, tap it on the fore cannon with your toe. In the meantime, do not stop what you are doing - they are trying to train you to stop. If you don't stop, they will eventually get the idea that you will not be trained.

2) the Grooma Mit is your best friend.

YMMV.

Good luck,
WH
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an