Supplies

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Supplies

Postby Rushtawin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:59 am

In terms of what a horse (or its owner) needs, or what is helpful, what would you recommend everyone's tack trunk, first aid kit, and grooming kit include? I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything of importance ;)

Off topic tips on everything are welcome, too, as are suggestions.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:23 pm

Povidone Iodine (Betadine); sugar (to mix with furazone, drawing agent for abcess, wounds, etc.); Furazone; dollar store medicated body powder (keeps flies off treated wounds); hoof knife, nippers and rasp; SMZ's; Banamine paste; Bute paste; dollar store epsom salts; granulex spray; animalintex poultice; vetwraps; masking tape; I keep at least one old mattress pad to cut into any shape, disposable wraps, rather than cotton batting; Absorbine vet liniment; syringes; needles; acepromazine; chorulon if you are a breeder; that's a quick list (it is actually endless).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:11 pm

I keep essentially most of what Madelyn has (medicated powder is great for scratches too) along with brushes, lysol (spray on brushes and it removes dust and dirt), Supergreen (a girl's best friend), polo bandages, Cashel pad and normal saddle pads, hoof oil and Dr. Rickens . Lets see iodine is really important to me :lol: Alcohol and at least one really good rub rag. A little alcohol on a rub rag for big events will really make a horse shine and it helps clean out their pores. I also have a small wash bucket with a scraper, sponge, Vetrolin brace and shampoo. Oh, and standing bandages.

My tack box skills were learned from horse show days so I have tack in there too. All neatly organized, I assure you :wink: :oops:
I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else. ~ Daria

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:21 pm

Disposable Diapers!!!!! They work great for a fast bandage for large boo boos and work beautifully as a poultice boot for abcesses! Duct tape! Thermometer, GOOD tethascope...Littman Classic is wonderful for horses!
green Alchohol (dollar store). Stainless bucket.
Fins to the Left....

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

stable supplies

Postby mini's mom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:30 pm

duct tape, baling string (two essentials for running a farm), wound dust for small cuts, old matress pads for big ones, vet raps, iodine or betadine, bute, banamine paste, theremometer, scissors (big ones that you get in the dollar store), car sponge (99cents in the grocery store), hoof pick, swiss army knife (or similar knife for emergencies), pliers (remove nails from feet in emergency), or pull shoes off with, a container with bleach in it (50/50 with water ususally does fine), ichthamol (black salve for drawing boils or abcess from feet), epsom salts, don't bother with aluminum pail go to the grocery store and ask for a frosting bucket (ususally are free to a good home), saran wrap for poltices ect and sweats on legs, pull pusher (balling gun it is called) for horses that don't like their meds or a pill cursher (hammer and a paper bag work just fine actually you can use a grain bag cut up and that works ok also - so make a list and shop at the local dollar tree and walmart to get what you need - you don't need tospend a lot at the tack shop - and there is a marigold insect spray ont he market now that works just wonderful for horses that crib on the fences only thing is is 22.99 a bottle

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:21 am

8) Thanks for all the insights... and yeah, I'm definately missing a lot of stuff since so far the only injuries I've had to deal with on her are bites from other horses and the time she ripped pieces of skin off her leg going through an electric tape fence which was off.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"