First ever cases of swamp fever in Ireland

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Ireland
Newborn

First ever cases of swamp fever in Ireland

Postby Ireland » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi,

I don't know if there are any Irish or UK members here but I was just sent this:

http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=74307&pt=n

FRIDAY 16/06/2006 10:48:49
Swamp fever detected in horses

The Irish horse industry is on alert following the discovery of the first ever cases of swamp fever.

The potentially fatal infection can be transmitted by the common horsefly and horse breeders are being urged to keep their stock away from wet and wooded areas.

The Irish Republic`s Department of Agriculture is also issuing recommendations that all horses be tested for the infection.

The Department`s Chief Vet Paddy Rogan says it is impossible to establish the extent of the outbreak at this early stage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4800710.stm

Swamp fever found in Irish horses

The first recorded cases of a potentially fatal disease in horses has been recorded in Ireland.

Officials said that cases of Equine Infectious Anaemia have been found in a small number of horses.

The Republic's Department of Agriculture said swamp fever had been found in horses in Kildare and Meath and urged owners to test their animals.

This is the home of Ireland's bloodstock industry where world-leading racehorse trainers have stables.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://breaking.tcm.ie/2006/06/15/story263549.html

Concern over arrival of fatal horse disease
15/06/2006 - 19:14:21

A potentially fatal horse disease has been recorded in Ireland for the first time, it emerged this evening.

The Department of Agriculture and Food confirmed the presence of Equine Infectious Anaemia (EIA) in a small number of horses in the Meath/Kildare area.

A spokesman said investigations were continuing to determine the extent of the infection which, in this case, is thought to have been caused by the use of infected serum in the treatment of another equine disease.

“The department is also tracing those horses which, in the past three months, have passed through
those farms on which the infected animals were located,” he said.

“EIA is a virus disease of horses which can cause of range of symptoms, including death.

“In view of the potential for mortality and given the high movement of horses throughout the country over the past few months, the department is advising stud owners/managers and other horse owners to have their horses tested for any evidence of the presence of the disease.

“The general incubation period for the disease is one to three weeks.”

The spokesman said the department is particularly anxious that all reasonable steps be taken by horse owners to ensure that the department can continue to certify horses for export, where such certification is required.

“Owners of horses are advised to keep them away from areas in which there are likely to be large concentrations of horseflies, including wetlands and wooded areas, until such time as they have satisfied themselves that their horses are free of EIA,” he added.

Equine Infectious Anaemia (EIA) or ’swamp fever’ is a persistent viral infection of all equines. The disease is exclusively an animal health issue and cannot be transmitted to humans.

The virus is usually transmitted through blood-sucking insects or through the use of blood contaminated instruments or needles.

Horses infected with EIA virus may take up to three weeks to show clinical signs of the disease, which include intermittent fever, small haemorrhages in the mucous membranes, anaemia, dependant swelling and death.

Sarah

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:58 pm

Sarah,
Thanks for posting. I have been on tenderhooks as I am in Co. Meath and actually I am not too far away from the outbreak's origins. I am not at liberty to say where it is, as am sworn to secrecy by my vet. The only annoying thing here is it has taken 3 months to this to come to the forefront and it's all very secret. I know people have a business to run, but this is ridiculous. Goodness knows what else they keep from us. It's not enough to say keep checking your horses. Plain arse stupid if you ask me. The flies are just starting to get bad. I'll tell you, this has really ticked me off and nobody really seems to give a crap about anything bar keeping said farm out of the press. Idiots!
Terri

ragsdaj1
Allowance Winner

Postby ragsdaj1 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:03 am

TEB,

I use disposable fly bags around my place to capture and dispose of the nasty little critters, but you want to make sure that you do not use any of these type of products. Any kind of an attractant should be avoided.

JonR

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:34 pm

What is Ireland's position on fly predators? They really work great out here...
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

Ireland
Newborn

Postby Ireland » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:35 pm

TEB,

I only stumbled across this info by chance. I read it on the RTE Teletext and then waited for the nine o'clock news as I thought this was BIG news but there was... nothing. That's why I went online to search for any reports. The Teletext was gone within 2 hours :shock: . I find it shocking that the welfare and health of animals is being put at risk. But then what else is new?

Rushtawin,

certain parts of Ireland, like the West I am in, is bogland and very swampy. It's heaving with horseflies and midges...

Sarah

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:50 pm

:evil: They are quite annoying, although I haven't witnessed them in hoardes. Good luck, in any case.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi guys,
1st off we don't have those fancy fly predator things here in Ireland. I've heard of them but don't have a clue to what they are.

Yes we get those horrible midges too. We have been rather lucky with the dry spell and have noticed that the flys haven't been that bad so far this year, but as I write this I'm thinking it will be a midgey day with the clammy wet weather.

As far as the story goes, nobody is really saying too much. Then the field reports yesterday, it could have possibly come from an imported horse too. So basically we don't know who's infected, where, how it came here, and to what extent. I too thought it would be a big story, but nothing. I guess I will just have to plaster in fly spray and hope for the best.

Terri