back at the knee

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

reenci
Grade II Winner

back at the knee

Postby reenci » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:06 pm

who out there has had first hand experiance with this conformation problem ? and how did it turn out ....training issue's.... soundness... ect.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:53 am

When we were in Australia last year, we were told that nobody there worries about horses being back at the knee, especially if they're related to Danehill, who shared that trait. I asked if they encountered lots of soundness issues and was told "definitely not". Bear in mind, though, that their racing is on grass.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:15 am

As a going-on-ancient three day eventer, back at the knee is something I avoid like the plague. It precludes a horse from ever thinking about a jumping career... but even for racing the problem would be the increased risk of knee chips and pulled front suspensories, bowed tendons, etc. As with anything, it depends on the degree of severity. But if any deviation can be tolerated, better they are "over" at the knee than "back." Back in my pony club days, it was on the list of "never buy."
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:22 am

I had a mare that was horrifically over at the knee. I showed her as a hunter. At the time that I bought her, I didn't know too much and trusted in my coach's opinion. Well, I looked at her as a sort of "tuition". This mare knew what I needed to learn and was cleaning up on the circuit doing it. Little did I know how much bute she was being shown on. I remember when I had to have the vet out......his words were......"she actually jumps on these wheels?". The mare had tons of heart but unfortunately based on how she was schooled and shown before me, I guess it was ineveitable that she become lame.

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

back at the knee

Postby mini's mom » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 am

usually, when you buy a horse that is back at the knee, you have other problems like a broken auxarilly carpal bone - I had a chance to buy a sister to 'flawlessly' one time and I refused because hers was wired and she was back at the knee - she also had ears like a donkey (no offense to other equines), big flat feet that did not belong to her body - I would avoid that confirmation problem 'like the plague' - horses make great 'teachers' and I believe Podaski (?? on spelling) wrote a book with that title -