Out at the knee - wire growth plate?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Out at the knee - wire growth plate?

Postby tbrace » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:45 pm

Anybody familiar with this procedure: wiring the growth plate on one side of a weanling's knee to allow the other side to catch up in length? I know it is done down here (Kentucky), but don't personally know of a case.

The idea is to allow the leg to straighten out, much like stipping on a baby.

Does it work?

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:37 pm

After many years as a farrier, I can tell you that any procedure of this magnitude should be carefully considered. It is invasive with considerable risk. Without being critical of professionals who recommend this procedure to correct growth related problems, my best advice is to get a number of opinions before committing. My experience has been that in most cases, nature tends to make its own adjustments at the right time. No matter what direction you take (and that includes doing nothing) in a case like this, the odds are weighted against you if the misalignment is severe enough. I recently read of a prosthetic device that is being marketed across the country. I don't know where I put the article, but if I can find it I'll post the information. Best wishes.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 pm

depeds on the age of the horse..the after care given and the nutrition given. when I have babies come here who look like they may have less the perfect knees I make sure their Hay is at a leavel where they are not spreading their legs and torquing the joints...yes I know they do when they are turned out in pasture but in a stall they have limited movment...I dont know if this actually works as much for the horse as it does for my MIND, but I some how have better knees in the end.
Fins to the Left....