facial paralysis after gelding - help

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

facial paralysis after gelding - help

Postby briarhalo » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Ok after agonizing over gelding my 3 1/2 year old TB colt I finally did yesterday. Everything went well (I wasn't there but my hubby was), he went down easy and no probs getting up or clotting. However, last night I noticed that his lip is drooping on the one side. This is the side he was down on. Has anyone ever had this happen? I thought it is only if there was trauma upon the horse going down? In all my years around horses, I have never had to deal with having one gelded, this is very new to me and not sure what to expect. Tonight all looks well, as I am told things should look anyway, but the lip is still drooping. Help? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks in advance.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:35 pm

I've read that facial paralysis does occasionally occur with gelding procedures. There was a thread on the COTH message board recently about it here

I would definately talk to your vet about it, and I have heard that accupuncture/massage therapy is helpful.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

knightsstar
Suckling

Postby knightsstar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:47 pm

Anesthesia/Injections carry a risk of parasthesia. :( (That includes people as well). Have your horse seen by another vet right away. Then write a letter to your vet explaining what has happened. Mention that your horse was seen by a subsequent vet. (Don't forget to include the subsequent vet fees you paid in the letter.) Request your money back and include any additional fees you incurred. You should look into complaining to a veterinary medicine board in your state and forward a copy of your letter written to the vet to the board.

Note that some parasthesia does go away with time.

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:36 am

How did your gelding make out?Hope he is O.K. now.Marg