my old schoolie...

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

trackgal
Maiden Special Weight

my old schoolie...

Postby trackgal » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:48 pm

My 27 yr-old grade school horse, who is fit as a fiddle and acts like a 5 yr-old, fell down with me this past week , we were in the ring just trotting and down he went and just laid there "twitching his whloe body, he was out flat I thought he was going to die right then and there, but after about 10 ninutes he popped up onto his feet and seems fine now, I have had this horse 20+ years and he was nver sick a day in his life, could he have had a mild stroke or something??

FancyHorse
Allowance Winner

Postby FancyHorse » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Kinda sounds to me like a seizure! I have a dog who did that exact same thing once and never did again!
"LIFE IS RACING, ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" -McQueen

freshman
Allowance Winner

Postby freshman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:23 am

Yikes, that must have been so scary.

I would think that it is surely possible that horse had some sort of stroke or other neurologic event. The fact that it recovered so quickly and completely, however, is unusual--one would expect to see some residual paralysis or other neurologic deficits if this were the case.

I might suspect a heart problem based in the sudden collapse/recovery. Usually, though, the horse does show some clinical signs for an owner to pick up on before such a dramatic collapse. Increased heart and/or respiratory rate, exercise intolerace, coughing, weight loss, lethargy can be present at rest or under stress. These signs can be subtle, though, so it is possible for the horse to appear normal most of the time. Atrial fibrillation, valvular insufficiency, and a number of other heart problems increase in incidence as a horse ages, though are by no mean very common.

Cushings disease involves the enlargemengt pituitary gland, and in the end stages, can sometimes cause seizures. However, the horse is often quite debiliated from the disease before this happens, so I would imagine that you would have noticed the common signs like loss of muscle tone, especially along the topline, hirsutism, etc that makes a horse seem quite frail and elderly. Seizures usually start out with mild facial twitching and other muscle fasciculations rather than a full-blown grand mal seizure like you described. Some sort of other brain tumor or other cancer that would invade the cervical spinal cord may be possible, but again quite rare.

Anhydrosis can become a problem in older horses, even when they haven't had this problem before. If the horse isn't sweating normally, overheating and electrolyte imbalances can occur. Collapse can occur when calcium or potassium levels get out of whack, but usually the horses feel and act quite sick, and if they did finally collapse, then they would likely be sick for some time rather than rapidly becoming normal.

Sounds like it would be worth having your vet out if you haven't already. She can at least listen to his heart and do some basic bloodwork, which is a good place to start.

Bondama
Grade III Winner

Postby Bondama » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:37 am

I once had an adult Mastiff who exhibited the same thing....falling down, twitching. She'd even pee herself. After a few minutes, she'd get up and look around like "What the f....??" And then she'd be fine again for a week, a month. Vet didn't find anything he could point a finger at. It went on for about 6 months until one day she fell and could not get back up. She developed a fever and had to be put to sleep. At that time, the vet felt it was neurological in nature. She was old at 8 years, common in the huge breeds, and her age may have played a part as well.

Watch your horse for a recurrence. I second freshman's suggestion that a vet do some preliminary bloodwork. And please keep us posted.

Blessings,
Justice: When you get what you deserve.
Mercy: When you don't get what you deserve.
Grace: When you get what you don't deserve.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:25 am

My husband had an Australian shepherd who had those seizures and was diagnosed with canine epilepsy. She was on some sort of pills that prevented the seizures.

But your horse, first time in 27 years? It DOES sound like a seizure. Hope you get it figured out.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....