Ossifiacation

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

billl
2yo Maiden

Ossifiacation

Postby billl » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:48 am

I have a filly with very nice conformation and adequate pedigree I bought months ago at auction. After the vet examined her, he found the filly has a bad ossification on the outer side of the right knee. He told me to give her some time and put her on Adequan and calcium for helping her eith the condition. I took X-rays about two weeks ago, and the condition does nto seem to improve. My question is, if this is adegenerative condition, I can only deal wtith retarding its progrees, right? Are there any natural remedies or other suggestions to deal with this problems?

I will greatly appreciate your comments.
Bill

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm certainly no vet, but if I remember correctly, ossification is bone being remodeled/healing/regenerating after injury (or forming from cartiligious tissues when there aren't injuries)... I have no clue what Adequan does, but chances are that any sort of bone or joint injury will cause some sort of arthritis down the road - thus, perhaps a supplement such as Glucosamine Chondritin (spelling?) may help the healing process or improve mobility... then again, there are a vast array of varying opinions as to whether or not such a supplement helps or is completely bogus - but from what I've seen, it seems to help both humans and animals. And on a sidenote, I heard that sulfur supplemented with the Glucosamine Chondroitin increases its effectiveness, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Good luck with your filly and keep us posted! Oh, and keep in mind, with horses - their bones remodel based on the amounts of stress put on them - so as long as she stays comfortable and sound, I wouldn't worry about working her unless the vet/someone you trust advises otherwise. It sounds like you're doing a great job and I hope this helps, even just a little.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"