Training question?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:50 pm

The first trainer I had always used Turpentine. The shed-row stunk of it. He said it was great for the legs and feet. anyone know why ? I never did figure it out.

katydid
Yearling

Postby katydid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:19 pm

But we're definitley not numbing... THAT'S CALLED NERVE BLOCKING

there are plenty of topical anagelsics that work b/c they numb the area to an extent. Plain ice will do that. I'm not being argumentative here but the fact is

a) you are using these product to eliminate the "sting" associated with track surface.

b) To eliminate the "sting" you have to use a product that will essentially completely or partially reduce feeling sensation to the hoof.

You are right in that it probably doesn't work. I understand the fact that a lot of TB's today have really horrible feet, and partially this is genetic but to a larger extent its the environment on which its raised (i.e shoes put on too young).

If a horse is tender footed a thin leather pad to protect its sole without compromising the feeling to any other parts of the hoof/ leg. That way the horse knows where its feet are underneath him, and will feel any source soreness potentially preventing a bigger problem from occuring.

I guess I've gone the roundabout way of saying...why do it if it doesn't work? If it does work, isn't that the same thing as saying that you are "masking pain" or "numbing" that area?
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

katydid
Yearling

Postby katydid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:28 pm

The first trainer I had always used Turpentine. The shed-row stunk of it. He said it was great for the legs and feet. anyone know why ? I never did figure it out.

Venice Turpentine has a variety of uses as a counter irritant to promote circulation (thus helping with new hoof growth/healing injury), it is said that it relieves soreness associated with a variety of hoof ailments/strenuous exercise. My farrier uses it as a simple hoof dressing/pack stating it prevents quarter cracks and toughens up the feet.
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:50 pm

Ever tried to tell an old timer what they're doing is wrong? I was taught by an old timer. It doesn't hurt the horse, it might not work (we'll never know- horses can't talk), it might help. Who knows. Until then... I'll be using hoof freeze AND ice boots on the day of the race. (until someone comes up with something that they can logically explain and it makes sense to me)
Racing and retraining.

Joe
Starters Handicap

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:52 pm

Thank you katydid for the answer. The old trainers used to use all kinds of wierd stuff, but a lot of it makes sense and is replaced by more modern things that do the same thing. He was a big fan of blistering and pin-firing also. I was never real enthused about the pin firing for bucked shins. I changed the fellow who broke my horses and none of them buck now, so I don't have to even deal with that issue and I'm glad.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:10 pm

Wouldn't soaking feet in any sort of water tend to soften the hoof?

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:20 am

xfactor fan wrote:Wouldn't soaking feet in any sort of water tend to soften the hoof?

Thats why "icing" a horse's legs and freezing the feet by painting foot freeze on are 2 entirely separate things. Foot freeze DOES work in my definition but if you define "work" by achieving a completely numb hoof then no, it doesnt work. It just reduces the sting.

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:21 am

Joe wrote:The first trainer I had always used Turpentine. The shed-row stunk of it. He said it was great for the legs and feet. anyone know why ? I never did figure it out.

Tupentine dry's the hoof. It's a really commonly used item.

Tucumcari

Postby Tucumcari » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:35 am

Those of you who oppose hoof freeze are giving entirely too much credit to the products we use as hoof freeze. As someone else stated blocking a foot and useing hoof freeze are two very different things.
Hoof freeze will never reduce feeling enough to impair the horse's ability to put it's feet down.. ever. Track surfaces are hard and cause a sting in the foot, even during every day training. Foot freeze just helps the horse feel more comfortable.
It is common practice for trainers to pack a horse's feet for days prior to running in a race. Using icthamol, magna paste, mud (poultice), etc, to draw any heat due to the rigors of training out of the foot. The foot is a bad place to have heat as all things expand with heat unfortunately the hoof is the one part of the horse's body that is incapable of expanding... So it is in the horse's best interest to draw any heat out of the foot... Trainers use shoes such as no-vibes that have pads to help reduce the concussion the foot has to incur. But that only goes so far as the psi of the hoof during full flight is high...
We all use hoof freeze or some form of it. It isn't harmful to the horse and it doesn't enhance performance. It is safe and done for years. How well it works, who knows... God knows how much of the stuff I have had on my hands over the years and I have never felt anthing in the way of freezing on my skin, it's just an ugly stain that doesn't readily go away...

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:59 am

A trainer I used to work for told me that the turpentine killed the nerve ends in the hoof and that that was why he painted the bottom of the hooves before they would race.

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:19 am

...the hoof is the one part of the horse's body that is incapable of expanding...
Not to be disagreeable, but they do expand. Ask a farrier.

Does Venice turpentine kill the nerve endings in your fingers if you spill it?
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

Tucumcari

Postby Tucumcari » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:01 am

(Also not being disagreeable... :D ) The amout which the hoof is able to expand due to inflamation is so minute. Really not even worth mentioning... Do your fingernails expand and contract with heat or cold...? Same idea...

Tucumcari

Postby Tucumcari » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:02 am

Hmmm, I don't know that I have ever gotten the stuff on my hands... but it's likely as I tend to wear everything... especially foot freeze... i just can't avoid the telling brown stained hands... :?

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Turps does nothing- for human hands anyway, I have painted enough to where I poor the stuff on (and it is great for cleaning things :wink: ) It does dry out your skin but no other ill effects noted here...

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:41 pm

I mean that they expand when they hit the ground - my error. ;)
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an