OCD pellets

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:01 am

What is the differnce between Caldensity and OCD pellets? And are there different results?

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm

I am not sure what the difference is - but you could check their websites and see what each one says - we had success with the OCD pellets and liked them.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

KY Horse Guy
Newborn

Postby KY Horse Guy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:01 pm

I don't think they are the same. It would appear the Cal Density product contains extra added calcium. Not sure I would want that in a supplement as it would upset the Ca:P ratio.

We've had some success with OCD Pellets. We'll see how well tomorrow as our filly makes her first start! :D

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:50 pm

In July, I was shopping around online for the OCD pellets, but the only like that showed up was the odcequine.com (also caldensity.com) one that has already been mentioned. It redirected to CalDensity. At that time, and still now, there's a picture of Brass Hat's winning comeback and it said "congrats to Brass Hat on his big comeback" that said "clinically proven, satisfaction guaranteed."

I figured I'd give it a shot as it comes with a good guarantee and came with a first-time buyers discount. We have a two-year-old filly in training and I figured a well balanced bone and joint supplement couldn't hurt, especially as added support for shins. So far, so good, although I can't say if it's the supplement or not. The website explains their ingredients and how the produce does not upset the Ca:P ratio. It's got a form of organic calcium, hylauronic acid, silicon, etc. I wonder, though, why the two companies parted ways.

secretlink
2yo Maiden

I just got this in my email... thought I would share:

Postby secretlink » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:34 pm

I just got this in my email... thought I would share:

Subject: OCD Unauthorized trademark use and illegal business interference.

CONSUMER ALERT – PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION

Because of the vast confusion concerning the brand OCD, the following presentation is provided for your consideration.

OCD - Optimal Cartilage Development was a pelleted horse feed supplement product that www.ocdequine.com had been marketing from April, 2006 until July 9, 2007. We contend that it is clearly a different product than the OCD Pellets that are being marketed today by an organization that has no rights to use the trademark.

The apparent counterfeit "OCD Pellets Original Formula" has been on the market since July 9, 2007 and appearing in many big magazines including the Blood-Horse, the Thoroughbre Times and Trainer Magazine. At the same time, my company, www.ocdequine.com, still has the rights to market and distribute "OCD - Optimal Cartilage Development". there is a contest that is under way with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office that may be heard some time in 2008, but it is very clear who owns this mark now.

The individuals and their companies that are marketing the counterfeit OCD have been granted no rights to use the trademark for OCD Optimal Cartilage Development and they are apparently selling it at many different prices throughout the Lexington, KY market as well as around the USA and in foreign markets as well.

I would enjoy speaking with you directly. I own the CAL Density product and www.caldensity.com and Integrity Manufacturing Company of Kentucky, Inc. You can reach me, Charlie O'Hara, at 1-800-815-6599 or via email as you did this time.

I have 2 files for your review and these will be faxed to you:

1. The Independent Analysis from Superior Chemistry that was performed in mid-August on the batch OCD Pellets that are apparently being sold by Dr. Beebe and Bruce Snipes.
2. The letter of explanation from the analysis expert Jeff Howard. (this will be sent as a separate email. I am having trouble attaching it.)

The current ownership status of the trademark OCD Optimal Cartilage Development is very clearly presented with the United States Patent and Trademark Office as well as the European Union.

At the United States Patent and Trademark Office, you will learn that the U.S.Trademark Number 78943787 for OCD Optimal Cartilage Development (both the name and the stylized design) are owned by Charles O'Hara and Mary O'Hara of 428 West Brannon Road; Nicholasville, KY 40356.

The link below will take you to the website of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market - Trade Marks and Designs. This is the organization that provides trademark protection in the 25+ countries that comprise the European Union.

When you get to the website, you can enter information one of two ways:

1. Trade Mark No.: 005603147
2. Trade Mark Name: OCD Optimal Cartilage Development

http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/Request ... =CTMOnline

Here are the apparent ways that you may purchase or communicate with the apparent people and companies involved in the counterfeit OCD Pellets product that is being passed off as the formula that www.ocdequine.com marketed from April, 2006 - July 9, 2007:

1. Dr. Douglas Beebe
2. Doc's OCD, Inc.
3. Bruce Snipes
4. Corta-Flx, Inc.
5. Palmetto Marketing of South Carolina, Inc.
6. Professional Equine Services, Inc.
7. Sylvie Beebe
8. Cary Pekrul
9. Chemphar, Inc. of South Carolina
10. Chemphar, Inc. of Kentucky
11. Equine Excell, LLC. (Snipes, Beebe and Dr. Maike Cavey)
12. Nekia Farms of South Carolina and Kentucky (this is the farm and racing name of Bruce and Rita Snipes of 4454 Huntertown Road, Versailles, KY)

NONE OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS OR INDIVIDUALS ARE APPARENTLY REGISTERED TO MARKET, SELL, DISTRIBUTE OR MANUFACTURE IN ANY WAY IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY. YOU MAY WISH TO SPEAK WITH THE PEOPLE IN THE REGULATORY SERVICES OFFICES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY HERE IN LEXINGTON TO VERIFY THIS INFORMATION. THIS PRODUCT IS APPARENTLY NOT REGISTERED IN KENTUCKY WHERE IT IS BEING SOLD OR THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA, WHERE IT IS APPARENTLY MANUFACTURED OR IN THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA WHERE THE HEADQUATERS OF THE BILLING ENTITY IS LOCATED.

ANY ONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED CONFUSION DUE TO THE APPARENT EFFORTS OF THE PEOPLE AND THE COMPANIES LISTED ABOVE WILL BE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. THE GOAL IS TO FILE THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WITHIN 30-60 DAYS. If you are interested in joining this suit, please send us an email with your information to [email protected]

Here is the link to the website to view the presentation of the apparently counterfeit OCD Pellets product www.ocdpellets.com.

An important note concerning the horse featured on the home page of www.ocdpellets.com is called Lady Belsara and she is trained by Steve Kintz. Mt. Kintz purchased OCD Optimal Cartilage Development that is written about on the home page and in printed publications from www.ocdequine.com on April 4, 2007. Less than two weeks later, Lady Belsara set the Keeneland track record (the photo on www.ocdpellets.com was taken from that race). Mr. Kintz paid with a personal credit card as he did throughout his history as a customer of www.ocdequine.com dating back to 2006. It may be simple to falsify an invoice to pretend the transaction was made with another company but not the credit card receipt.

The distinction is NOW very important to make between the two formulas that have been marketed using the same name.

On page 2 of www.ocdpellets.com you will find a photo of the pellets, the product and chart to understand the costs, dosages and pail unit prices. On this page it is clearly presented that the product “OCD Pellets the Original Formula” has two primary ingredients - Corta-Flx and silicon. The silicon that is apparently being used comes from a naturally occurring source called diatomaceous earth. You will see the level of silicon that the OCD Pellets tested out at in the Superior Chemistry test.

Diatomaceous Earth is permitted for use in horse feed supplements but only as an anti-caking agent and it is very challenging to understand for state agriculture officials at UK why this would be used in a pellet. Apparently diatomaceous earth is sold to Chemphar, Inc. by a company called NutraBlend. Apparently the cost to Chemphar, Inc.is very close to $.10 per pound or $.006 per maintenance dose. The other ingredient, Corta-Flx, is available all over the world.In the pellet form in the U.S.A., it sells for approximately $.40 per day at full retail in the 12-lb bucket and this is with the tack store and distributor making 60% of the retail dollar that a consumer pays.

The profit on the 40% of the sales price that is earned by the manufacturing and marketing company is estimated to be 50% after all operating costs. Exactly how these margins and prices work in countries like Canada, Australia and the UK apparently vary. In the UK, Corta-Flx can be purchased through field agents from Horsham Nutraceuticals and/or Equine America UK Ltd. You can go to their websites to see the prices in the UK.

Corta-Flx, Inc. apparently has a beef-origin product in it called Soluble Trachea Chondroitin Sulfate 16. This is apparently sold to Chemphar, Inc. by the ingredient supplier American Laboratories, Inc. in Omaha, Nebraska (Jeff Jackson, President) and then apparently distributed by Corta-Flx, Inc.of Aiken, SC throughout its apparent distribution network.

It is also apparent after extensive investigation that the OCD Pellets “Original Formula” currently being marketed have three active ingredients that apparently comprise 7.5% of the formula. This 7.5% of the formula is commonly referred to as a premix. It apparently contains 46% of the beef-origin chondroitin sulfate, 22% kaolin clay and 33% diatomaceous earth. The remainder is apparently 92.5% forage products and moisture.

The OCD Pellets “Original Formula” label however, apparently presents many active ingredients, including many that are not approved for use with horses. All feed manufacturers are encouraged to diligently adhere to the feed ingredient and label requirements of the American Association of Feed Control Officials.

As far as international business, in order to ship a mammalian (beef) origin product for animal consumption of any kind in the European Union would apparently require misrepresentation by the organization submitting the registration documents. For instance, apparently a company could possibly misrepresent a mammalian origin ingredient as a poultry orientation in order to get approval. This is very important because the outlawing of mammalian origin ingerdients were changed due to the mad cow problems throughout the world.

As far as the contents apparently contained in the OCD Pellets “Original Formula” that were tested in mid-August, 2007, according to Jeff Howard, from Superior Chemistry, it is very likely that the OCD “Original Formula” product tested contains forage products only and that apparently none of the ingredients listed on the label have been added.

The test results from Superior Chemistry show that only 16% of the guaranteed analysis claimed on the on the OCD “Original Formula” label is apparently in the product. This means that apparently 84% of the promised ingredients are not found to be in the OCD Pellets “Original Formula) that are apparently being marketed today.

After www.ocdequine.com invested a large sum of dollars in marketing, brand development, customer relationships and service, apparently the organizations and individuals listed above that are using the trademark without authorization and marketing through www.ocdpellets.com are apparently taking the brand for all that it is worth right now.

The version of OCD Optimal Cartilage Development that www.ocdequine.com marketed from April, 2006 through July 9, 2007 was manufactured by a company called Bartlett Milling in North Carolina and was shipped in bulk packaging to the warehouse of www.ocdequine.com in Winchester, Kentucky. From there, www.ocdequine.com simply finished the product by filling the various containers that were sold on the market. The plant that used to finish the product in Winchester, KY is an FDA approved facility that is a member of the American Institute of Baking (AIB).

Apparently, the counterfeit OCD Pellets “Original Formula” is being manufactured by Chemphar, Inc. in Aiken SC and then apparently filled at the farm of Dr. Douglas Beebe at 1180 Muir Station Road; Lexington, KY 40516 tel 859.519.5486 or 866.392.2363.

It is the opinion of the owners of www.ocdequine.com that the apparent people or their apparent organizations representing www.ocdpellets.com and the OCD “Original Formula” have NO claim to the use of the marks whether in the EU or the USA.

Thank you for your time and all of us associated with www.ocdequine.com apologize for the confusion that you have endured.

Sincerely,

Charlie O'Hara
President
www.caldensity.com
Zoe Williams

secretlink
2yo Maiden

Postby secretlink » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:37 pm

The second part of the email... just passing it on, it diod not really clear much up for me, but maybe it will help others...:

Subject: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Website data for OCD Optimal Cartilage Development mark ownership

Subject: RE: PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

Charlie

I’ve had my lawyers check this out and yes, they can clearly see that you have a point!

United States Patent and Trademark Office
Home|Site Index|Search|FAQ|Glossary|Guides|Contacts|eBusiness|eBiz alerts|News|Help

Trademarks > Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

TESS was last updated on Sat Sep 29 04:07:00 EDT 2007

Please logout when you are done to release system resources allocated for you.

List At:

OR

to record:

Record 3 out of 15

( Use the "Back" button of the Internet Browser to return to TESS)

Word Mark
OCD OPTIMAL CARTILAGE DEVELOPMENT
Goods and Services
IC 005. US 006 018 044 046 051 052. G & S: Dietary supplement for animals
Mark Drawing Code
(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code
26.09.14 - Squares, three or more; Three or more squares
26.09.21 - Squares that are completely or partially shaded
26.11.21 - Rectangles that are completely or partially shaded
Serial Number
Filing Date
August 3, 2006
Current Filing Basis
1B
Original Filing Basis
1B
Published for Opposition
March 20, 2007
Owner
(APPLICANT) O'Hara, Mary Grace INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 428 West Brannon Road Nicholasville KENTUCKY 40356
(APPLICANT) O'Hara, Charles INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 428 West Brannon Road Nicholasville KENTUCKY 40356

Attorney of Record
Cynthia L. Stewart
Disclaimer
NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "CARTILAGE DEVELOPMENT" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
Register
PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator
LIVE

size=2 width="100%" align=center>
|.HOME | SITE INDEX| SEARCH | eBUSINESS | HELP | PRIVACY POLICY
Zoe Williams

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:26 am

I got the same e-mail - they are both "clear as mud" to me.

Am not sure what is going on, where the sour grapes are coming from, etc... I guess folks will have to make their own decision - I hate it when people try and drag you into the middle of their squabbles :evil:

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Amyc2735
Newborn

using OCD pellets on an older horse

Postby Amyc2735 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:10 am

I've been reading a lot of posts about the OCD pellets, but mostly for use with younger horses. I have a 21 year old mare with OCD in her left hock. She is in great condition otherwise and still jumps 2'6". She does receive monthly shots of adequan & legend & is on a daily dose of Equinyl CM. :)

She is starting to show signs of increased inflammation in the left hock after being ridden. :? I've had X-rays done of her hock and she has quite a few nuggets in there; however our vet said that they are rounded and her body seems to have adapted to them.

Does anyone have a situation like this and would the OCD pellets have any type of positive effect on her hock at her age? :?:

Thanks for any input you may have!

newyorkmary
Yearling

Postby newyorkmary » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 am

Instead of starting a new thread new I am reviving this old one.

Two different products - Docs OCD Pellets and CalDensity. We have used both in the past.

Now that a few years have past, does anyone prefer one over the other?

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 am

how early can you start using the OCD pellets? Can you use them on a weanling 6 months old?

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:05 pm

We used the OCD pellets on foals that young in the past with positive results. Remember however that the OCD pellets are "guaranteed" to resolve OCD's and not any other issues that your foal may have.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm

They actually recommend that you start feeding it in utero, so yes you can definitely start feeding it at 6 months of age :)
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't use either most of the time but when I do use it I like the OCD pellets better because they are smaller portions than the cal density.