Imaginative Horse Care

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Imaginative Horse Care

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:59 pm

I need some help. I'm teaching a class on basic horse care and I was thinking it would be neat to discuss some imaginative and alternative treatments that work and that are economical and user friendly.

For example, I recently mentioned on another thread that buying the Banamine injectable solution for use as an oral medication was both an economical and effective method of use. The paste only provides 3 doses vs the 10 doses provided by the injectable and it is easy to use for those who don't feel comfortable with IV.

Another example is different uses for duct tape, diapers, sugar, epsom salts, etc. Anything that is practical and economical would be of interest.

Any help you all can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:41 pm

We have used duct tape,diapers an epsom salt before.
Ice/heat stuff not sure of the name.
The bucket trick sucks.
Ever tried to hold a bucket on a horses foot?
Wife uses a tall rubber boot.
We tried the fly predators this year they worked about 90 percent.
I can't think of any other things we used right now.
Mite add some later.

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Instead of spending $20 on that tiny bottle of ThrushBuster, you can just put 10% bleach solution in a squirt bottle. :)

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:57 pm

I just read this on another forum, and thought it sounded pretty clever:

I, however, don't actually soak abscessed feet in hot water buckets. I've found over time that it's much more expedient to blowing an abscess to pack the hoof with a drawing agent and then slap a washcloth over the packing...then I stick to the washcloth one of those Therma-Care type heat pads. They activate when opened and heat up...and stay that way for up to 8 hours. So I pack the hoof with something to both soften and draw...and add the heat of the heat pad, then I add the baby diaper over that and duct tape the whole shebang on. The heat pad keeps that area pretty darned warm, the wrapping and packing keeps it moist without being soaking wet. No Bute...some smaller turnout so they can move around a bit. It's like soaking in a bucket for 8 hours instead of for a few minutes...and it hasn't failed to pop an abscess in record time for me yet.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

nythoroughbredvz
Allowance Winner

Postby nythoroughbredvz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:10 pm

Growing up my grandfather & father used a lightly damp cloth diaper soaked in Keroseen, and kept it stored in a coffee can with the lid on.. and wiped the horses down every day for fly repellent. to be honnest I havent done this with mine yet but I do remember it worked thats all we used for years! cant have it to wet, or it can make them sweat!

trackgal
Maiden Special Weight

Postby trackgal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:26 am

"Benadryl" the people version for hives, allergies coughing, I give 20 25mg's to an average size horse 2 times a day... even the "store bought" brand works.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:37 am

I have stacks of old mattress pads (old twin size, or elastic gone, stained, etc. not usable) that I cut into any shape to use as a wrap. I can wrap a whole leg that way, with one piece. I can throw the pieces in the laundry if they are reusable.

The dollar store is a treasure trove of inexpensive usable stuff. The blue off-brand mouthwash makes a terrific bracer in summer bathwater and the minty scent keeps the flies at bay for awhile. Medicated body powder is good for dusting onto wounds after povidone iodine (Betadine), which I get from a livestock supply catalog for about six bucks a quart (generic brand). The dollar store also has quart size bottles of balsam shampoo that is GREAT for manes and tails. Sugar mixed with furazone is a great drawing poultice and much easier to clean up than icthammol.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:57 pm

human quality vitamin supplements. they're mostly the same price, and you know what you're getting. you'll see a difference in your horses.

btcountess
Maiden Special Weight

Postby btcountess » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 pm

An older trainer I once used kept all horses on Aloe Vera juice from Sams Club and never had a case of ulcers in her barn. I give it to my rescue doxie for her acid stomach that causes her to have bad breath - works great, it's healthy and very inexpensive.
Horses are pure love.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:29 am

bt, Aloe Vera juice? I've never heard of it. Is it a drink? What does it contain that would negate ulcers?

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 am

Ringworm, girth itch can be treated most effectivly with Ortho Lawn & Garden Fungiside (active ingredient Captan). Very cheap and the most effective cure.

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:52 am

For ring worm and the like I found that Dr. Sholes (sp) athlete foot spray works good.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 pm

here's another one: sand paper for bots

Cathyleabo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Cathyleabo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:19 pm

WD-40 for detangling manes and tails. Evaporates off after a few days and makes them shiny and soft.
Also removes grease from noses that got too friendly with the tractor.
Well behaved women rarely make history.
Unknown

btcountess
Maiden Special Weight

Postby btcountess » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm

zinn21 wrote:bt, Aloe Vera juice? I've never heard of it. Is it a drink? What does it contain that would negate ulcers?

Zinn - Aloe Vera juice is made from the aloe vera plant that people use for burns. It is very soothing and many doctors recommend drinking the pure juice to sooth the lining of the stomach. We give our dog two teaspoons a day and the horses get 2 oz. with their food.
Horses are pure love.