Imaginative Horse Care

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:03 am

madelyn wrote:So, to be sure about the dosage, 220 mg (human tabs) - if the horse dosage is 10 mg per kilo, and my horse weighs, say, 50 kilos, I need to give him 500 mg of naproxen, so 2-1/2 of the human tabs?

50kg would be either a foal or a small pony--I'm not sure I would give this to a foal without checking w/a vet first, but for a small pony, yes, 2.5 human tablets.

For a 1200-pound horse, that is 545kgs, so 5.45g of naproxen required.

I tried putting them whole into feed yesterday and the horse in question didn't seem to notice/care. Always, always give with food, though.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Raspberry Leaves

Postby LKR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am

How much does a person give daily for last month of gestation and prior to breeding season??
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: Raspberry Leaves

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:10 pm

LKR wrote:How much does a person give daily for last month of gestation and prior to breeding season??

The source I found doesn't give any specifics on use in pregnant mares.

If you're using it on racing or show animals, give a minimum 5 days for the drug to clear the system.

Sources:

http://equimed.com/drugs-and-medication ... e/naproxen
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 191606.htm

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm sorry. I didn't clarify that I wanted to know the amount of raspberry leaves to use in the last month of gestation and prior to breeding mares.
The info on the valerian, raspberry leaves and chamomile was about 4 or 5 posts back. I put it in the subject line but it didn't show up.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 pm

I fed one ounce of red raspberry leaves the last two months of pregnancy. I don't use it pre-breeding.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks, laurierace.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Just adding that an old vet in our area used to tell owners to give Pepto Bismal at the first sign of a discomfort that might be colic (I will try to find someone who remembers the dose & will edit this post when I do).

We often combine it with a very low does of banamine, so the horse with the belly ache doesn't worry itself into a full-blown colic despite the Pepto.

We've used it for years & have had very little problem with colic (although having just discovered this thread & read through it, I think our new protocol might include a 1/2 hour trailer ride, post Pepto bismal.)

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm

KBEquine wrote:
Just adding that an old vet in our area used to tell owners to give Pepto Bismal at the first sign of a discomfort that might be colic (I will try to find someone who remembers the dose & will edit this post when I do).

We often combine it with a very low does of banamine, so the horse with the belly ache doesn't worry itself into a full-blown colic despite the Pepto.

We've used it for years & have had very little problem with colic (although having just discovered this thread & read through it, I think our new protocol might include a 1/2 hour trailer ride, post Pepto bismal.)

Dosage for Pepto-Bismol is 10 times the human adult dosage listed on the directions. Remember it is only effective for upper GI complications, so your advice of adding the banamine is an excellent suggestion. I always give a colicky horse a trailer ride. It's a sure fire way to get them to pass gas and make a stool. If they don't, I know I've got bigger problems and I just head directly to the vet.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 pm

We give about 14 crushed gas-x in some applesauce with a shot of banamine. If it isn't a twist, the horse is comfortable in about 20 minutes. A short trailer ride helps things along too.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Barley straw for algae control.

http://www.btny.purdue.edu/pubs/apm/apm-1-w.pdf

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm teaching some classes on economical small horse farm management at our local adult education program. If some of you have some imaginative suggestions or ideas on this subject please post them. This is not a horse care class, but more about imaginative and cost effective use of equipment, storage facilities, fencing, stalls, quick fix repairs, etc.

I have a friend who had some very small paddocks that he was having difficulty dragging with his standard six foot drag, so he wraps old chain link fence around a small tractor blade that shortens the length of tractor and drag and that works great and he is able to manuever his tractor safely in the smaller confines.

I made up the same set-up for my tractor and now use it for all the paddocks.

Information like the above would be helpful. Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Shammy,

On another thread someone mentioned a herb mix to sow into the regular pasture grass. It contained an assortment of "medicinal" herbs. The idea was that the horses would naturally self medicate and stay healthy. I've seen a study where different supplements were added to piles of free feed hay. And there was a 100% correlation between what the horses choose to eat and mineral deficiencies--which were determined by blood testing.

So horses that needed iron (for example) ate from the iron fortified hay, and not from the copper fortified pile.

Does anyone have a list of horse healthy herbs?

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks. I can check with the VA Tech extension service if no one comes up with the herb list. Do you have a link to the study or its title?

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Not a clue where the study was. But maybe published in a horse magazine. There were photos to of the horses eating hay, which probably not be published in a scientific journal.

However, I have great faith that your googling expertise will find the site if it is still up.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Didn't find any resources specific to overseeding with herbs, but I did find a number of seed companies that have pasture seed mixes that include herbs.

The resources/links regarding pastures and hayfields is enormous. I had no idea.