groundhogs in the pasture

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 am

My German Shorthaired Pointer had it as his aim in life to rid the world of woodchucks, and until a couple of years ago when he was simply too old and crippled with arthritis to get after them, he did a good job of patrolling my yard and the local park (I, too, live in a city). He wasn't all that big, only about 60 lbs, but if he caught one out of its burrow, it was over for Mr Chuck within seconds of Rusty going in for the kill.

He had two partners-in-chuck-hunting over the years, a Golden Retriever who was maybe 10-15 pounds heavier than him, and a beagle mix who was only about 40 pounds. Surprisingly, the beagle mix could also do in a 20-25 lb chuck. I guess it's about speed and leverage. All of these dogs were very fast and agile. Now that all three of them are gone, I expect the woodchuck population in the park will soar (one took up residence under the lean-to section of my garage last summer).

Other than dogs, though, I think the shotgun or rifle approach is the best one unless you live in the city/village limits.
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617