Regumate

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Griff, is Hot Concern currently in foal? If not, are you planning to get a uterine culture before you try to short cycle her?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Hot Concern is not in foal and had not planned on a culture as she had no trouble delivering last year and was bred back to the same stallion that sired her 2009 colt..

Will surely consider one now.. Or should we just bit the bullet and have her treated when the Vet takes her culture?? I don't think the treatmant will cost any more than another farm visit.

I guess the following might be usefull:

The Vet tested her in 2008 and put her on 90 days of regumate which worked.. She was so late delivering in 2009 that all we did was breed her on her foal heat and again on her regular heat and brought her home.. Did not check her to see if she was in-foal until December and she was not.

This was a compromise or a way of letting nature decude if we got another very late foal or start her early this year. She might have been in faol when we brought her home and might have held that foal with regumate.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:44 pm

No amount of Regumate or lutalyse can cause a mare with a dirty uterus to get in foal.. I would think the culture would be good preventative business. I usually put my "open" mares on a 5 day course of doxycycline prior to culture.

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:15 pm

Griff writes:

"Or should we just bit the bullet and have her treated when the Vet takes her culture??"

My vet did the culture before he treated our mare because he indicated that this was the most effective way to know what to treat the mare with. (Correct if I'm misunderstanding what my vet said guys.) So I think I would have her cultured and then see what the vet says as to what to treat her with. I'd also ask him what he thinks about doing the ludalyse injection before you do it. Also, do you have her under lights? We did have ours under lights starting in November of 2007 and she was bred on March 4, 2008. Until this I didn't realize how much time is really involved in getting a mare ready to be bred. Great experience though! :D

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm

drewsbadboy's vet was right, you have to know what "bugs" are in the mare's uterus to treat it with the most effective drugs.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm

I once bought a mare and a clean culture was part of the deal. When I got her to the stallion station they cultured her again and she was dirty..

I believe that means the Vet that did the first culture infected her taking that first culture.. Anyone have any idea how prevalent that problem is?

My vet also wants to do fecal egg counts to determine what wormers are needed.. However, I worm foals every month as fecal egg counts don't always detect the presence of parasites like tape worms, hibranating small red worms, bots, thread worms ect and I wonder if the culture specific treatments might have the same problem.. ???

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm

when ever I can

griff

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 pm

I've not heard of that happening (during the three years I worked at a small tb breeding farm) but anything is possible and I'm a beginner with this breeding stuff (Learn something new everday!). Does this mare have a "shelf"? If that is the case it could explain how she got dirty before visiting the stallion (depending on the time between the culture and her cover date). I can only speak on my own experiences and I've seen a few mares that needed to be sewn up at different times (after being covered for example; our mare is one of them) because of her conformation (having a "shelf"). Vet indicated that this can be a big cause of "dirty" mares. Maybe someone else has other experiences?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Drewsbadboy

The mare that tested clean and then dirty after the first culture had never been bred and I'll never have another virgin cultuered again unless it is a requirement.. This mare was sent to KY where she had to be cultured there before breeding to Yankee Gentleman and that second culture was dirty.. She has had two foals in two years and is due her third in a couple of months..

That mare is Perfect Colours and it's Hot Concern that is open and probably needs a culoture even though I think the lack of Regumate after her 2009 cover is probably the reason she is open.

Thanks for all inputs.. I've emailed my partner to get her a culture and we'll certainly test to see of she needs to stay on 90 days of Regumate again.

griff

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:01 pm

For those of you with interest, this website contains a wealth of information:

http://www.equine-reproduction.com/index.shtml

Check out "The Articles". Tons of good stuff. I have been using P & E for the past 3 seasons with much success in getting my ovulations timed so I only need to ship semen once. Not so handy in TB's with the live cover rule, but if you're on a time schedule and can only get the mare covered once, well, it's well worth a look if breeding live cover.

I also am very careful with lutalyse...I always, always, always use the microdose protocol, which alleviates any cramping, sweating and otherwise traumatic side effects for the mare (and the owner).

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks for the link Joie. What is the microdose protocol you mentioned when talking about ludalyse? I've not learned about this yet, but it certainly sounds like it's the way to go if it can eliminate or minimize all the sweating and cramping the mare has to go through.

Joie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Joie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:53 pm

The microdose of lutalyse is simply 2/10th of the normal dose administered 2 days in a row. So, for an average mare, that would be .2cc administered on two consecutive days.

So much easier on the mares...and on the owner, too. I couldn't stand seeing the mares get all sweaty and crampy and such. I've been doing the microdosing since 2004 or 2005, I think.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:25 am

Found a study done n by N.C. State on the Texas vet News that reported maresgive a 1/2 cc and a 1/4 cc single dose of Lutalyse had identical 100% results as mares given 2 cc of lutalyse.

The report suggested a 1/4 cc single dose

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:42 am

When a maiden mare is cultured, her hymen must be broken, exposing her to the possibility of a dirty culture. I've never had a stud farm ask for a culture for a maiden mare.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 am

Madelyn

We bred Perfect Colours to Yankee Gentleman the first year he stood stud and I believe he was at Airdrine Stud.. I don't know if it was Airdirie Stud or the farm where she was boarded that req'd the culture or even if the culkture was even taken.. I do now we were billed for a culture and and a treatment. This was after we sent a clean culture report with the mare.

griff