sweat ?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rez
2yo Maiden

sweat ?

Postby Rez » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 pm

What different remedies do you use for sweating ankles ( alcohol, absorbine, bigeloil etc ). Getting the swelling down. I know some horses get a little puffy after running or just working out, just curious what other trainers use. We use alcohol--absorbine and white vinegar..rub and wrap

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 am

Furazone with DMSO is good if any infection is suspected.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:09 pm

I use straight DMSO for the first sweat. Its hard to walk into a stall after the first time with a bottle of DMSO. It really tends to tighten one up. I then go furazin (sp) the second night. That usually takes care of most of the swelling. I have noticed that if the swelling occurs after a work or race everytime, its time to get the horse tapped.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:03 am

Fura Free is also a VERY good sweat.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Rez
2yo Maiden

Postby Rez » Mon May 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Furazone with DMSO is a good sweat....we also use that. I was just looking for other remedies to store in the ol memory bank......next for the memory bank is for torn suspensory...never had to monkey with that before, have her in a cool cast right now, just happend the other day.

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Fri May 14, 2010 8:50 am

I forgot mention that DMSO sweats can blister, if left on for more than 12 or so hours.
I use a non chemical sweat that works well for up to 24 hours. I take old blankets from our beds and cut them into cotton like lengths. These are the soft thin blankets that have a rubbler like core from walmart. I wrap the leg with one of these, put on the plastic wrap, then the cottons, then the standing bandages. You get a really good sweat.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness

Try it you will like it.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sun May 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Best remedy for puffiness is ice, ice, ice.
DMSO/Furacin is awesome too though, as long as you're not racing anytime soon, I use it all the time, under poultices after works too. I had a gelding the bowed a tendon, and he literally lived in Cool Cast for about a month. CoolCast, plastic wrap then bandaged over it. Took the outer bandages off every day and iced on and off for a couple hours, then re-wrapped, changed the Cool Cast every other day or so). After a month I started the DMSo/Furacin sweats. His tendon healed with absolutley no visible or palpable scarring, and the vet could barely see a change on the ultrasound, he actually had to ultrasound both front tendons to compare them to find the healed bow.

I make my own leg brace that I use after training (and on me too!), but have never tried sweating with it. 1/2 alcohol, 1/4 absorbine linament, 1/4 bigeloil. I used it all the time under bandages with no problems.

Also, another awesome leg healer is comfrey, put some of the essential oil into some rubbing alcohol, rub it on and bandage over top. Works awesome.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!