Photic Head-shaking

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:34 pm

I found this. I'm not sure if it is relevant, but some my find it interesting.

http://www.equiwinner.com/headshaking.htm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:40 pm

teb
Allowance Winner

Postby teb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 am

MSM can be of some relief and has helped 2 of mine. I wouldn't recommend putting your mare on it now as she is pregnant, but mine have had it from conception til birth and no problems. I just don't like introducing new things while pregnant.

There are many triggers for head shaking and no matter what people will blame vaccines first. For me, my horses will always be vaccinated for things likey to kill them otherwise. I don't do Rhino anymore when the mares are pregnant because I have a closed enough herd and they foal out with me. But bigger stud farms can't have an outbreak of Rhino around the place and lose foals because of it.

There has also been a link to fractures at the top of the poll which is interesting to me as my one mare who has it had a head injury as a foal. We actually weren't sure she would live or not.

At any rate, the MSM has been very helpful and relieved symptoms. She never has any while I'm riding. I keep 60 proof sunblock on her nose, which is white, near enough all spring and summer which also helps. This mare would not tolerate a fly mask in any way shape or form.

Terri

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm nearly positive that vaccines were indeed the cause- My mare has received none since (I stopped at the 9month mark) skipped the 10 month and skipped everything else through to today. We lost the colt due to contracted tendons causing dystocia, but the mare is now rideable and her "headshaking" is now down to a chin bob every now and then- I imagine by next year this will no longer be an issue.