Racing in vet wrap

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Roger
Grade I Winner

Racing in vet wrap

Postby Roger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Have any of seen any studies that prove that running in wraps is good for horses? Does it help horses with ankle or tendon problems? It seems like it should help, but I've never seen a real study on it.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 pm

One of my owners claims to have seen a study from CA which said use of bandages drastically reduced tendon and ligament injuries, but I am not sure where the study was published

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

This would be an interesting study. I've often wondered about that too. Are they good support? I wouldn't think it could help too much as far as support, considering how large and heavy horses are, but I don't know (maybe they do). I know they would be great protection as far as some rundowns are concerned. Does anyone else have ideas/opinions/experiences about this? :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Roger you don't really mean vet wrap do you? Vet wrap is elasticized paper, usually used over a wound dressing. Are you thinking of just plain track bandages? or polo wraps?

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:09 am

Our trainer uses vetrap, because it is self adhesive, therefore reducing the risk of sagging or pulling off. He finishes it off with black electrical tape. Here's a picture of our Rosie with her's. Note the lovely finishing touches with the tape. LOL

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Diane, racehorses routinely race in vet wrap. They used to use ace bandages to race in (decades ago) but vet wrap are lighter and stick to themselves which make them a bit more stable. ;) They don't offer the protection from smacking or banging a sesamoid that ace bandages do but are much lighter weight.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

there's a 2009 study on human sport ankle wrapping--pro basketball--as I am recalling--indicating significant injury reduction on wrapped vs. unwrapped players. i'd guess the same with horses EXCEPT

1. horses have 4 legs.
2. vet wrap is expensive.
3. vet wrap leg wraps are time consuming in the extreme.
4. horses get hurt just as frequently and probably more so in the mornings than on race day. if you're going to wrap, you need to be wrapping all the time. wrapping causes slight changes in stride and effort. you need them to have the same on race day as in the mornings.
5. there are numerous injury causing variables far more weighty than leg wraps.

e.g. you have two horses--one wears wraps, the other no. the unwrapped horse gets and injury, the wrapped horse no. was the unwrapped horse injured by lack of wraps? Or, by something else? i'd be interested to hear from people with extensive experience with wraps, and their view of them. Thus far I have gone on the general law that horses are difficult to "help" and have avoided wrapping.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:59 pm

Vet wrap for racing, that's a new one for me, thanks JP. I use sport medicine boots but not all the time bc they can get sand up in them, so I use them for fresh horse who is going to play or isn't fit and needs more support. Polo wraps it depends if my knees can squat long enough to get them on. I just can't imagine wrapping vet rap tight enough to be supportive and sending a horse out without worrying about causing a bandage bow or worse, that stuff doesn't tear very easily. There must be a certain technique? Another don't do it if you don't know how to do it properly.
I do know that sometimes a horse will go out in track bdgs when being dropped a level in hopes it won't be claimed by a trainer who does not usually send horses out in wraps.
Costco used to have their people wear abd binders for back support and they stopped when they found they increased the risk for back injury, so I was told by local long timer at my favorite store.

Roger
Grade I Winner

Postby Roger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Bandage Bows scare me too. I used them early in my career but, I did it because nearly everyone used them. If they are put on correctly, I can see some support in the ankle, but I don't see where they are worth the gamble of bandage bows. To put one on and use consistent pressure on each wrap was my biggest problem.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness

Try it you will like it.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:48 pm

vet wraps are a pain, and cutting out the little diamonds are a royal one. We always used VW, tape and a 3M patch. If a trainer wanted to pull a "bandage bow" to deter a claim he/she may throw a piece of cotton-sheet underneath it.

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 am

I rember putting up a horse with fake bows and the biggest uglyist ankles in the world, all sheet cotton. In the barn everything was done up in fours every day wether they needed it or not just so anyone "spying" would not know if they were cripples or not. It was sort of fun"sculpting" bad legs so the horse wouldn't be taken.

amanda1
Allowance Winner

Postby amanda1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey Crystal,
You dont really have to cut diamonds, just cut a small piece off the end of the tape and apply it at an angle ;)

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Diane there is indeed a technique to putting vet wraps on properly. When teaching a groom or working student how to do exercise wraps I make sure they know how to do polos first. Then ace bandages. They are figure eighted around the ankle to form a nice upside down V in the front of the ankle, and they go under the ankle for support. They have to have consistent pressure on each turn around the leg, and even spacing up and down the leg. After they can consistently put ace bandages on properly I allow them to do vet wrap - practicing in the morning first, then when mastered they can apply them for racing.

;)
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Oh - I forgot to mention - the person putting the wraps on has to have good knees!!! LOL I am getting old and crotchety, after putting 4 vetwrap on I hobble around like an old woman for 10 minutes.. :lol: :lol: :oops:
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Jessi, we all have bad knees after working at the track! Think of how many horses you had done the "squat and bend" to pull bandages on, just to stand up, roll them and put a new set on.. not to mention the hours of poulticing, DMSO'ing, furazone-ing.. I asked my real doctor to tap-and-block me one day I couldn't take it anymore.. He didnt quite get it, but after a little convo he recommended glucosomine.. I was tempted to ask him at Bute, but didn't.