fly sheets

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

fly sheets

Postby mightyhijames » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:08 am

do they work?

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

b

Postby TrueColours » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:56 am

Well ... yes and no ...

Some are SO stiff they end up rubbing. Some are so sturdy and stiff to withstand any rubbing and tugging by pasture mates, the weave is so close they sweat like the dickens under them. The flies arent on them but the horse is cooking underneath

One girl on the COTH board said she was laying out in the sun on a chaise lounge and she had her boyfriend drape a fly sheet over top of her. She said within 10 minutes she was very warm and within 20 minutes she was baking and had to get it off of her. Now maybe its not QUITE the same if she was upright and moving around to allow some air flow to get into there, but most people report that the horses are sticky and hot underneath

One blanket that looks to really do the job well is the Boett Sweet Itch blanket available in Europe, BUT they are very expensive (they will run you about $300.00 to import and land here). They apparently shade the horse and the horses stay cool and comfy underneath. But another issue with them is the material is very soft and pliable and doesnt tend to rub at all, but if the horse rough houses with pasture mates and/or rubs against posts and trees, it doesnt hold up well to that kind of wear and tear

If you do go with the traditional fly sheet and you find the horse is rubbing underneath them, I sell a product called Bossys Bibs - www.bossysbibs.com that a lot of people use under their fly sheets with very good success

And from what I hear, each fly sheet is totally different and what may work on my horse's build, will fail miserably on yours and what works in my climate, may not be at all suitable for yours

Good luck! :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:06 am