Vaccine induced Strangles

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Karen, I am sorry about your filly. This too shall pass.
As for you, are you absolutey certain that Streptococcus Equi has made you sick? Both strangles and step are caused by strepooccus but it is exremely RARE for a human to contact it from a horse. IF you have reliable information to the contrary, I would certainly be interested.
Proverbs 31:8
"...stand up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all those who are destitute.."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawYXs2e ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIASWv9GYC8

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Can I pm you?
Karen

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:53 pm

From: http://www.lapublichealth.org/vet/EquineStrangles.htm

Transmission to Humans. In rare cases, humans have contracted infections from the bacteria that cause Strangles. To prevent human infection, people caring for horses with Strangles should avoid getting any nasal or abscess discharge from the horse on their eyes, nose, or mouth. The should also wear disposable gloves while working with the horse, avoid touching their face, and should wash their hands thoroughly when finished.

I never realized that humans could contract it either, to be honest. I've never heard of that before. But wow, that's another huge reason to be incredibly diligent about keeping everything as sanitary as possible when dealing with strangles cases!

I hope you get better soon, Karen! (And your filly too!)

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 am

pfrsue
i appreciate that article
thank u all for your thoughts

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:09 pm

OKay so we have the black and white saying that it was vaccine induced, we payed a few grand to get her back to health, do you think we should take them to court?
karen

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:01 pm

I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to take them to court. It will cost you a fortune, and there is likely a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print about it that would make it pointless. If you had a bad batch, or an epidemic in the area of horses that all got sick from the vaccine, then a class action suit could be likely be brought against them. But your case isn't so unusual, just extremely unfortunate, and you can be sure they are lawyered to the hilt for situations like this, and they wouldn't be nice about it either I'd guess.

Hope you are all doing better now.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 am

Every time I've been exposed to a horse with strangles, I've gotten strep throat. I always thought it was because I have some equine DNA somewhere in me (to explain the insanity of my horse passion).

A gal I met a few years back who worked for Fort Dodge for quite some time told me that they do not batch test their vaccines so I usually avoid using their products. But I believe suing them would cost more than you could recover and you would probably lose so would be costly and fruitless.

Hope you and your filly get all better soon!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 am

karenkarenn wrote:OKay so we have the black and white saying that it was vaccine induced, we payed a few grand to get her back to health, do you think we should take them to court?
karen

No, try having your vet contact the pharmacutical rep that sold him/her the vaccine and ask for assistance in paying vet bills incurred by the vaccine. I had good luck awhile back with Fort Dodge on particular vaccine that was ineffective. They were very nice to deal with.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks for all your replies.
Stratgic I will tell my vet to talk to the Supplier
thanks
karen

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 pm

where did you get the "black and white" that said your horse's strangles was vaccine induced??

Second what will that source charge you to appear and testufy to that finding.

Lastly, what kind of creedance will your "black and white" source bring with hiim/her/it?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 pm

cow antibiotic? - Quartermaster?

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Griff
1. The tests results come from Pfizer their head Vet and the U of Illinois whom Pfizer hires to do the DNA testing on the swab. That pretty much it of what I know medically. In other words I dont know what they do to the swab test to come to the conclusion. But I do know that we have their vets approval and an odd collection of statements from Our vet. Example: the frustration that he went through, how he felt what was all of the work done and why. Some of the questions they are asking for is kinda strange to me, but thats what they want.
OKay now the second and third questions I dont understand. Are you asking me umm that Pfizer is going to charge us to talk to them? Are you talking ablut attourneys?

Crystal-- Right now shes not on any antibodics because her temp, and the swelling is 90%done. Im worried though that right under her throatlatch there is hard swelling that decreases in time but it still there. I dont know how long it should be there. We are going to have her scoped on the 19th. But I dont know what the Scope will tell us. Our vet wont do the Scope because he doesnt have the equipment so another vet that is more advanced will be doing it. Hes not back from his vacation to ask him about the Scope.
Karen

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 pm

I talked to my vet today about the Pharmacutical Co.response.
Interesting. The rep said that my filly wasnt contagious. That since this is so rare that " there is no possible way that she could give it to other horses" Therefor I should " release her to other horses" and " act is if nothing has happened" And my vets jaw dropped. The Rep also said that WE have to prove that she is contagious. WHY I am not to sure.
Karen

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Karenkarenen

If you take this to court you will be required to pay a fee to "expert" witnesses that testify for you.. The 3rd or last question has to do with your paid expert's credentials.. He/She might be a cracker jack Vet with no credentials what so ever to make this kind of call.

And another question is will your expert witness agree to testify or give a deposition??

Your best and most cost effective solution might be mediation.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:05 pm

We have reached a settlement and they are doing what we need. Which has been a joy for us.
Thanks Griff.