Vaccine induced Strangles

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Vaccine induced Strangles

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Hello
Yeah my yearling filly got strangles three days after she got the six week booster. We talked to Fort Dodge - it was confirmed.
Anyone here has had a horse that has had strangles.
She has had a fever now, for two weeks - on banamine
Not on any antibodics, cause vet says that it lengthens the duration. She hasnt ruptured yet or has had any puss come out- no drainage.
anything else besides putting her in a place FAR away from others. She has a large apetite.
Karen

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I've worked with a LOT of horses who have had strangles. Never had one actually get sick post vaccine though, had a few spike temps when the vaccine was injectible but nothing with the newer IN vaccine. And every one of them went off their feed, lethargic, temps and within a week had massive lumps we lanced and put heat compresses on. Also lots of thick snot, overall extremely disgusting.
I'd question if she really has strangles and not just a systemic reaction to the vaccine or caught something else coincidently at the same time which made the vaccine reaction worse.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 pm

So Shannon
How would we be able to go by that?
FInding out if this is strangles or something else?
Karen

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 pm

A swab can be done by a vet and tested for strangles...or you just let it run it's course and see what happens. A fever of any sort that has lasted 2 weeks would concern me as an owner, (especially if she is on meds for it and it's her 2nd hit of the vaccine) as fever indicates infection. Is she acting normally otherwise? Does she have the enlargement of the lymph nodes under her jawline or into her throatlatch? Usually the fever with strangels is followed by the snots in short order, with the hardening lump beneath the jaw soon after.

If she were mine, I'd keep in mind 2 things...bastard strangles (strangles that bursts internally and creates a systemic infection) would be the first. And depending if it was an injected vaccine, an infecion from the actual injection, not the vaccine itself.
But if she's eating like a hog, behaving oherwise normally (responsive, attentive, curoius to her surroundings, playing etc) she may well just have a low grade bug that arrived at the same time as her vaccine. Yearlings are a lot like little kids, low natural immunity to the common bugs older horses fight off with no trouble
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Well first of all we ruled out not taking a swab test because she was vacinated for strangles to begin with. So she would have some strangles in her as a gaurd from the vaccine.
She is eating well, she does have those swollen lymp nodes huge though. Coughing. but no draining.
Karen

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:42 pm

My bet would be to just ride it out and keep a close eye on her.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:38 am

Did you vaccinate IM or IN

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 pm

I refuse to vaccinate for strangles because of your situation. When I ran a good-sized breeding farm in IL I would always get at least 1/2 of the short yearlings sick when we vaccinated. I give all the other standard vacs, but no more strangles until they come out with another killed virus.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

it was all I N, yes it was a live vacine. I have contract Strep now.
I m really deciding on putting her down. She has been lanced and is fine, but now Im not. Im the only one taking care of her and now Im infected. They are running a culture to see if its Strep Equi that I have .
Pfizzer = Fort Dodge says that the Pinnacle is contagious to humans because the Strep is alive. I spoke with their nurse.
I feel physicaly sick and I have children. She is on rifampin, the vet bill was 2000 dollars.
what do you think
should I put her down?
Karen

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Is this filly your Stormy Jack? My gosh Karen its about time for your luck to change. You've had a dark cloud following you around for several months.
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you about putting your filly down. Just offering my sympathies.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

whoa... i didn't think you could get sick from strangles????!!!

I had a mustang years ago that came in from the BLM adoption, was in qt and developed strangles. he never had snots or anything, just a lump on his lymph nodes.. and eventually that burst and he was draining out of that. There is cow antibiotic called today or yesterday or something that comes in a tube... You can rub it directly on the drainage site once it comes to that. I had a barn full of horses, no one else ever got strangles and I had used the Intra nasal vaccine for three years prior to that (because in Maine we always had outbreaks because of the auction house nearby). he healed perfectly and no one else had any problems.

i can't imagine putting a horse down because they had strangles.. usually they heal without problems and then have the immunities and usually don't contract it a second time.
Racing and retraining.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Before euthanizing her I would treat her with a simple course of good old penicillin. I am sorry to hear of your luck :( I too do not vaccinate for strangles because I have encounterend numerous horses that have contracted the bacteria after vaccination, some likely from the I.N. vaccine. We had a yearling swab positive for strangles a couple weeks after getting the vaccine this year, she spiked a fever of 104.5. She was very lethargic and was treated for 7 days with penicillin and is just fine now. I understand what your vet is saying in regards to letting it run its course as sometimes treatment can indeed prolong the problem and even make it worse, however when you are treating with expensive antibiotics like rifampin and you still have a problem and you are contemplating euthanasia I would absolutely give penicillin a shot (no pun intended). Best of luck to you!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:35 am

So what are the odds that she can race after this.
I was told that she doesnt have anything major going on in her lungs and organs. But I am worried.
Karen

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm

I dont think it will bother her for a racing career but PLEASE Karen, take care of yourself!! :) Sending you lots of hugs and warm healing thoughts for you to feel better soon. All the best for you and your filly.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 am

If her lungs are clear then I wouldn't think there would be any negative effect on her racing career, the only possibility is that her immune system is compromised and she will be more susceptible to infection or illness but that would likely improve. Hope you are doing well too!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"