West Nile

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

West Nile

Postby LKR » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 am

We have it in our county. What does everyone do as a precaution where they live? Dump any water that collects in anything after it rains, of course, but what about where the water tanks are, runover and such?? Do you spray anything in particular?? I am putting bug zappers up to try and keep gnats down, gnats are attracted to light aren't they?
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:14 am

I dont believe that gnats spread WNV - only mosquito's and only a certain type of mosquito as well

Mosquito's arent attracted to the light - they are attracted to CO2 that you emit when you breathe, so the only sure fire way to NOT attract them is to literally stop breathing ... :wink:

They are attracted to black light though, so those will zap them ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:25 am

I realize gnats don't carry West Nile, just mosquitos. The zappers emit black light and they nail mosquitos. I am just trying to get a handle on the gnats as well. Can a person spray anything on wet areas and that will help cut down on the gnats as well as the mosquitos??
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Im having big problem with gnats this year as well.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:01 pm

ireneinwa wrote:Im having big problem with gnats this year as well.

Get some ducks. They are the most voracious eaters I have ever seen. They will virtually eliminate flies, gnats, grasshoppers, etc.

Chuck

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks great idea but ducks are not an option. :(

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Re: West Nile

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:44 pm

LKR wrote:We have it in our county. What does everyone do as a precaution where they live? Dump any water that collects in anything after it rains, of course, but what about where the water tanks are, runover and such?? Do you spray anything in particular?? I am putting bug zappers up to try and keep gnats down, gnats are attracted to light aren't they?

For water tanks, drainage ditches, and other standing water, you can use biological control made of Bacillus thurgenis. Not toxic to humans, but will kill mosquito larvae:

http://www.pestproducts.com/mosquito_dunks.htm

You can also buy pheromone traps to attract mosquito adults, which helps break the cycle:

http://www.allmosquitos.com/control-mos ... -trap.html

There are repellant granules available for sale, but they're still chemicals (even lemongrass oil is a chemical) and whether or not they're suitable for you depends a lot on your situation.