Wheat Germ vs Rice Bran Oil for Performance

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50 am

Rapid, I have a lot of reasons I like beetpulp...and here are mine (not in any particular order):
1. Its cheap. You buy a bag, soak it and get 5 times it's volume! I pay $8-$10 a bag.
2. It forces water intake when soaked
3. Roughage by the bucketload
4. Horses love it once you get them onto it. You can hide almost anything in it, meds, supplements etc. It's good for every age group and level of performance, from youngsters to performance to seniors and fatties.
5. It has been shown to help absorbtion of nutrients in the hindgut, as well as reduce ulcers
6. IT WORKS! Every horse I have ever had on it has thrived and gained weight. I have not ever had a colic, never had to treat a horse in my feed program for ulcers, and my horses have always been in good weight, gorgeous coats, happy horses. I feed additional grain and supplements as needed also, but I will always feed beetpulp to any horse I own or care for.
There are a few cons which I cope with because I love it, and as I always feed it soaked, thats my main issue, is the time it takes. I don't like to soak it with hot water as it makes it ferment faster. Also, it goes off quickly in hot weather and needs to be kept in a cool place.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:54 am

On the rice bran front, the actual rice bran that is the best I've found for results from several brands, is the Custom Fit. I've tried Moor-glo, Satin-glo, satin Finish and custom fit.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:28 am

Thought I'd post pics of my QH gelding I sales prepped to the testamament of rice bran and beetpulp. All he got other than that was a grass/alfalfa mix hay (80/20) and a mineral supplement. I had him for about 45 days prior to the sale.

This pic was taken after I'd had him in prep about 2 weeks

This was at the sale 2 or so weeks later

[/img]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am

Beet Pulp is my Go-To feed for skin and bone horses, and anything with any backbone showing. It is, in my opinion, the fastest and safest weight-gain product on the market. I feed it soaked, period. Had one choke on the dry stuff 5 or so years ago and that ended that.

The rice bran oil is for my race trainer, for our track horses. Likening today's conditioned racehorse to the wild mustang (water and forage) is like comparing a Ferrari to an old VW bug, fuel wise. Greater physical demands need higher octane fuel, in my opinion.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....