What's A Good Poultice??

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

What's A Good Poultice??

Postby LKR » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 am

I have a horse who has a hard knot under his jaw on one side. It isn't strangles. I believe he might have gotten a little piece of wood or even a metal sliver in there. It has been there for a couple of months. I just keep forgetting to try and bring it out. What poultice does any of you use to draw something like this to a head?? It has a little scabby covering on it that you can pick off. He isn't sick from it. Thanks for any help.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:09 am

Personally I would opt for icthamol instead of a poultice to draw it out. IMO the best leg poultice is uptite. :)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5096168_use-ich ... tment.html

Good luck!
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:22 am

Hm. I recall having a round, icicle shaped shard of glass stuck in my thigh, after a bad auto wreck, that simply refused to "grow out" which all of the other glass bits in my arms, etc., did. I ended up going to my GP's office and they froze around it, cut it open, fished around and took it out. You might have to put a bit of lidocaine there, cut it open with a sterile scalpel/knife and probe around. If it's metal, you could use a strong magnet to pull it out if you can't get the tweezers in there.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:19 am

I happened to have some Dynamite Miracle Clay. I mixed it up and applied it to the lump. In 8 hours it had pulled half of it out. In fact, it had a small lump next to the main lump. I applied it again, but haven't had a chance to see what it looks like this a.m. as he is about 5 miles from here. Will report the progress later today. I am impressed with that stuff!!!
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses