Weanlings Loose As A Goose

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Weanlings Loose As A Goose

Postby LKR » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 am

I have 3 weanlings out of 10 that are loose. One more so than the other two. All 10 are fed the same, they are still on the mares. They have been wormed. I am backing off on the grain and I remember reading that someone had this problem and they deduced that they were licking the salt blocks too much and that they were drinking an excessive amount of water. I am pulling the salt blocks for a few days too. They have been on them quite a bit. I have trace mineral/selenium blocks out with a sulfur block. Haven't noticed the babies on the sulfur blocks at all, just the tm/selenium ones. Any one else have this problem? They are all growing like weeds and look great otherwise. Lots of pep and energy. Play like crazy.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 am

The insidence of Rhodococcus seems to peak between 6 and 12 weeks of age.. However, your description of the 3 foals being full of energy does not fit Rodococcus,,

Most breeding farms and stallion stations are infected with Rodococcus and dry dusty times seems to multiply the chances of infection.

All my foals get a bag of plasma w/i 2 to 3 days of birth and another bag at 4 to 5 weeks.. It's expensive but not as expensive as treated a foal with Rodococcus. Also Rodococcus effects the lungs and can leave scar tissue that could or will effect the horses racing ability..

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]