Okay, here's one I've never encountered

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Okay, here's one I've never encountered

Postby Denise » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:21 pm

Our two year old gelding, who's turned out with half a dozen other boys of varying ages, is apparently finding it amusing to snack on the other horses' tails!
Our trainer pointed out that his remains intact, while his paddock mates' tails have all been chewed (save the alpha in the group, our 8 yo. gelding.)
Is this a horsey OCD? Is it a phase? I can't believe horse tail hair tastes all that yummy, and daring a kick in the head is probably not too bright either.
Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions for breaking the habit, other than say, applying red pepper to the tails of the other horses?

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:53 pm

I have actually heard of this, but luckily it wasn't one of my horses... and it was a while ago, so I don't remember what was done to stop the behavior. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you at all, but at least you know you're not alone!

I also know a guy who had all of his horses' tails cut off in the middle of the night a few years ago; the theory was that someone sold the hair as tail extensions in the show world. Sick people...
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:11 am

Yes, it's really not all that uncommon. My colt pretty much ravaged his babysitter gelding's tail. He's currently got the "layered" look. I'd get so mad watching the gelding ambling along with "junior" behind him with his tail in his mouth! A friend of mine's filly does the same thing to anyone she's pastured with. And another friend's filly chewed off several tails in her group years ago. About the only thing you can do is paint everyone's tail wih red pepper and hope she doesn't acquire the taste for red pepper! haha

Denise
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Denise » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:15 am

Ah well. We'll try the capsaicin trick.
My mother thought she'd cure me of mouthing off when I was 3 by putting Tabasco on my tongue. Alas, she created a pepperhead instead! :lol:

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:32 pm

I'm a total freak about tails. We have a paint colt who liked eating other horses' tails. Once he was cut, he quit doing it....or maybe once he was cut and then put in wait a few dominent mares two months later?

Anyway, you could tie up all the other horses' tails in bags or tail braiders, ahen add the pepper to the bags. That way it's not actually on their tails to be washed off. I keep my mare's tail tied up and it stays thick and long as well as clean.