Winter Care and Feeding Management

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 am

La Nina Winter Could Bring Trouble
The cooling of tropical Pacific waters
could lead to avalanches in Northwest
and bring wild weather across U.S.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/l ... 3%7C170028

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:09 pm

I really hope they're wrong on this one. Much of Va is already in a drought condition and this would make it worse. Seems like most of the rain is going through NC. Unless a tropical system comes ashore we are looking at a very dry autumn and a worse winter.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:09 am

Our paddocks are bare. I've already started implementing some erosion control measures. I'll pray for you, if you'll pray for me.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Will do - an ongoing concern for the church prayer list. I actually woke on Sat nite to hear rain trickling down the gutter. Didn't last too long though. I don't know if its just really local or more widespread. When I drove up through Orange county couple weeks ago things were pretty green up there.

How many horses do your paddocks support? I know a couple people who might have some pasture for turn out if yours are just hangin around like mine and don't need a lot of extra care.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 am

We have ten paddocks, each about 1 - 2 acres. With eleven horses, 2 to a paddock, we would normally be alright, but with draught none recovered after use. I had some pasture nearby for winter turn-out, but lost it when the owner died and the estate decided to sell. They asked a little more than I thought the land was worth. The new owner owns a dairy and has put it into corn. So much for the poor diary farmer characterization. I've got a very reliable source of good hay, both sq. and rd, and for the moment we're okay. I like to keep track of the feeding regimen. A few of my mares struggle to maintain weight and my youngest daughter has three field horses that are used throughout the point to point and hunt season. I'm in the very southern end of Nelson, closer to Appomattox and Amherst than to Scottsville or C-ville, so I'm looking for pasture a little closer home. If I get into a bind, I may contact you. You are very thoughtful to make the suggestion. Thanks.

I've been checking the weather and looks like Igor and Julia are going to head north in the Atlantic and not strike the eastern seaboard. We got the same rain you all got and all it did was suppress dust.