Encouraging horse to eat OTTB

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Encouraging horse to eat OTTB

Postby Jean » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 am

Will eat almost nothing! Barely eats enough hay to stay alive. Have tried everthin I can think of. Is on ulcer med, daily turnout, will not touch feed outside. Bucks and kicks and feels good but how long can this last if he doesn't eat. Have tried straight oats, oats with molasses, with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, sweet feed, horse crunch, alfalfa cubes pelleted complete feed. Apparently he was a problem at race track also. Has a variety of hay to choose from, grass, Alfalfa, second cut. He will eat carrots and apples so are cutting them up and putting in his feed to entice him. Any other ideas? He has horses next door that he can see through the stall.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 am

How long have you had him?? Is it possible for him to be turned out with another horse and see if competition for food would perk him up?? At least where he could eat hay with the other horse? I can't remember what it is, but there is a vitamin that stimulates appetites. I think B-12 possibly. Is he visibly wasting away in front of you??
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:50 am

Maybe try beet pulp? My horses all love it, though I know it can be an aquired taste. Another super-tasty thing is the bagged, chopped alfalfa. It seems more palatable than the cubes or pellets.
Another thing to try are the calorie-dense, high fat pellets like Kent's Omegatin. If he won't eat much, he'll get more calories per mouthful from those.
Good luck!

Strategic Maneuver
Starters Handicap

Postby Strategic Maneuver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 am

I've had good luck with B-12 injections to pick up appetite and also a product called Lixotinic. You probably already checked, but a full mouth and throat exam might show a possible problem.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:04 pm

My guess is whatever ulcer med you have him on isn't working. Try a week of gastrogard and I am sure his appetite will improve. Then you can experiment with ulcer alternatives until you find something that works for him.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I have had good look with aloe vera juice. At first you will need to squirt in the mouth. Once the horse starts eating just put it on the feed. About $9/gallon at Wal-Mart, usually in the nutritional supplement area near the pharmacy.

Chuck

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi Jean,
There was a time when arsenic was used to induce a horses appetite, it was called belles (sp?) drops but I haven't seen it around for a long time....it did work. When I tried to look for it, I found this modern version:>).....which has arsenic in it, along with some other stuff. You may want to ask your vet about it. TJ
http://www.horsemedsonline.com/jurocyl- ... -p-47.html

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:14 pm

I had success with DYNE - it works great stimulating the appetite and provides some nutrition until they resume a normal diet.

http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Dyne-High-Calorie-Supplement-1-Gallon--pr--015TRPY40020522

I purchased 32 oz off the shelf at the local feed store for $ 16

Great stuff...
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 am

He is on gastroguard so am assuming that is not the problem. Won't look at beetpulp in any form. We have him in a pen ajacent to another horse during the day and a stall with open divider at night, he shows no aggression and if the other horses come near him he just moves away. Tried a goat no luck. Not visibly fading away but definitely losing weight. Had his blood checked yesterday no problems, am checking for thyroid problems now. Bell's drops interesting! Used to be able to get that. Will take a look and have heard about the arsenic but haven't resorted to that yet! As to anything to feed him with high calories I don't think it will help as he will not eat any concentrates. Eats about 1 flake of hay a day. Does not seem sick or anything plays, bucks kicks! Has our vet stymied! Will suggest the B-vitamins Thanks everyone for some great ideas anyway

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:37 am

The stuff with arsenic in it blows my mind. Is that the same arsenic as people have been poisoned with? Would that stuff test, if so, how long a withdrawal time??
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:26 am

LKR wrote:How long have you had him?? Is it possible for him to be turned out with another horse and see if competition for food would perk him up?? At least where he could eat hay with the other horse? I can't remember what it is, but there is a vitamin that stimulates appetites. I think B-12 possibly. Is he visibly wasting away in front of you??

Hi Kathie,
Yes. it is the actual poison arsenic.....in small doses it is beneficial to horses that don't eat. It was given often to picky horses years ago......it's possible it tests now and that's why you don't see it around. BUT....the stuff I found on the internet is given by injection and I guess it's the modern day remedy. TJ

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:59 am

Jean wrote:He is on gastroguard so am assuming that is not the problem. Won't look at beetpulp in any form. We have him in a pen ajacent to another horse during the day and a stall with open divider at night, he shows no aggression and if the other horses come near him he just moves away. Tried a goat no luck. Not visibly fading away but definitely losing weight. Had his blood checked yesterday no problems, am checking for thyroid problems now. Bell's drops interesting! Used to be able to get that. Will take a look and have heard about the arsenic but haven't resorted to that yet! As to anything to feed him with high calories I don't think it will help as he will not eat any concentrates. Eats about 1 flake of hay a day. Does not seem sick or anything plays, bucks kicks! Has our vet stymied! Will suggest the B-vitamins Thanks everyone for some great ideas anyway

Hi Jean,
The Bell's Drops and arsenic are one in the same.......the arsenic in bell's was diluted to the proper prescription so we couldn't overdose them. Actually it isn't a last shot deal when you covered all the other bases....it will help, check with your vet about that injection and see what he/she thinks. Try keeping his feed tub with grain away from him a couple days and at feed time give him a flake of alfalfa with a 1/2 scoop of omalene 200 on top with cut up carrots and apples.....fresh clover if it's available......feed him late afternoon only, no breakfast....other than hay. Also bring his feed last....feed all the other horses as you normally do before him....let him wait. Then put it in the front of his stall right inside the doorway, walk away and leave him alone for a while then see what he did with it. If he turns up his nose to that throw his hay in the back of the stall and leave him be for the night. If he balks at that I'd go with an appetite inducer....either what's been mentioned or something your vet has experience with and know's it will work. TJ

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 am

Ditto the aloe vera juice from WalMart. Start with a half cup twice a day, syringed into his mouth. B-12 shots are also a good thing to try, as is the lixotonic - but be warned some horses wont eat the Lixotonic because of its strong iron smell - mix it in well. Great stuff tho.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm

What about his teeth/condition of his mouth?

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 am

Is this horse currently maintaining his weight?