Nutrena's Empower

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Roger
Grade I Winner

Nutrena's Empower

Postby Roger » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm not sure if this is available every where. It's a pellet that is 22% oil with a ration of 1 to two in Omega 3 to Omega 6 oils. It has 8.25 MCals per pound. A 1,000 lb horse in heavy training needs 30 MCals per day. You can get all the energy a horse in training needs with a little less than 4 lbs. The thing that has me excited is my tying-up mare seems to really be doing well on this stuff. My mare gets 1 1/2 lbs of Empower, 1/2 lb of black oil sun flower seeds, 1/2 lb of soy bean meal, 1 lb of oats, and 1 lb of rice bran twice a day and she is thriving. She is getting way to many cal.s for now, but I can cut that back when I need to.
Loving God, Loving People and Serving = Peace and Happiness
Try it you will like it.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Roger, suggest you Google "Equine Omega 3 Omega 6"and click on Progressive Nutrition's "Where do Omage6 & Omega 3's Come from and What are the "Pros and Cons" of adding them into horses Diets Today."

The article starts out noting that horses evolved as grazing animals which gives them a very high Omega3 to Omega 6 ratio.. It also has a chart on page 2 of 2 that gives the Omega6 to Omega 6 rations of a lot of the stuff you are feeding:

Sunflower has a 199 to 1 Omega 6 to Omega 3 ration [not good]

Corn has a 84 to 1 Omega 6 to 3 [ not good]

Rice Bran has a 29 to 1 omega 6 to 3 [not good]

Soybean has a 7 to 1 Omega 6 to 3 [not as bad but still not good]

Canola has a 2 to 1 Omega 6 to 3 [???]

Menhaden Oil has a 1 to 15 Omega 6 to omega 3 ratio [excellent]

Flaxseed has a 1 to 4 omega 6 to Omega 3 ration [very good

I would dfinitely stay away from the 199 to 1 stuff as well as anything that starts with corn. Fish Oil, on the other hand,is good for everything, including people.

if anyone knows I like to know what the ratio is for beet pulp.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the article

griff

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]