Flipping palate

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

bluemoon
Yearling

Flipping palate

Postby bluemoon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:34 am

Has anyone had any luck with a horse that constantly flips their palate when racing? Besides surgery?
Thanks a lot for any tips.

TJ
Darley line

Re: Flipping palate

Postby TJ » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:46 am

bluemoon wrote:Has anyone had any luck with a horse that constantly flips their palate when racing? Besides surgery?
Thanks a lot for any tips.

Hi Blue,
A couple Vets from Cornell developed a collar (fig 8 type setup), which has been helpful with horses who flip their palate. I'm not sure if it's still in vogue or was just a flash in the pan, but you can check it out below. TJ
2006 Article in TT:
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse- ... orses.aspx
Vet Aire, the company that sells it:
http://vet-aire.com/

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:01 am

I didn't have any luck with the cornell collar. I personally would at least have the llewelyn procedure done. Its cheap and the recovery period is only a couple of weeks.
If you don't want to try surgery yet you can play around with different types of equipment. The Serena's Song bit, a sure-win, a figure 8 noseband for some examples. The vet can also block the throat at lasix time. I haven't had much luck with that either but its worth a try.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 am

many times palate flipping is merely lack of conditioning. the first thing that happens when the horse is taken past its anaerobic conditioning threshhold is that the breathing locks up. this is frequently misinterpreted as flipping the palate. probably there are also horses that have a physical problem. I've yet to been one so unable to tell how this works. If you have the typical, monitor the rider who'se breezing the horse. the rider will be able to tell at what point the breathing lock up occurs. appropriate conditioning will extend that point further and further down the race track.

windyr
Maiden Special Weight

Postby windyr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a filly with a similar problem and the cornell collar worked like a charm.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:01 pm

They will not flip if you run them with a bitless bridle.. the trick is to get a bitless bridle by the stewards.

Google "Bitless Bridles" if you are interested in the sunject

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

btcountess
Maiden Special Weight

Postby btcountess » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Have a great trainer, used to train in Europe, NY and CA - now at Philly Park, he uses a figure 8 on my horse and he's doing fantastic.
Horses are pure love.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Where can you buy the cornell colars at a decent price

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]