Off Topic-Need Help

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Off Topic-Need Help

Postby LKR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:06 am

I didn't know where to put this, so I apologize for putting it here. I have a 25 year old Indian Mandella about 3 feet across. It has lots of wool and feathers on it. The white wool is yellowed from dust, nicotine, etc. Does anyone know what I might do to clean it up a bit?? It is absolutely gorgeous but dirty as heck. Again, I apologize for putting this here.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 am

I have no clue what an Indian Mandella is. Can you take it to the dry cleaner?

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:07 pm

An Indian mandella is a dreamcatcher. Kathy, have you tried using corn meal on the wool? Apparently you rub it in with a damp cloth, and vacuum it out when dry.....supposed to work, but I've never tried it. Good luck.
~Dare to Dream~

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Perclorethylene? It is dry cleaning fluid. Blot it in really well and vacuum it out.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm

How about making a solution of oxyclean and water, dabbing it on, and letting the wool soak in it for a bit? Then you can rinse and blot dry.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Typical dreamcatchers are made from a hoop strung with something tied into a net. Then wool roving is woven into the spokes of the net, and feather, beads and other goodies are added to the base of the wool roving.

Wool roving is clean carded wool, with all the fibers aligned in one direction, and no twist added to the fiber.

Twisting roving produces yarn, while adding heat, agitation and any kind of base solution will produce felt. Cornstarch might work-- sprinkle on then let set to absorb any oils then gently vacuum off the dream catcher. Dry shampoo also might work. I'd test one small area on the back before doing the whole thing.

Good luck.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try the dry methods first. Will let you know how it turns out. Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses