biting

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:05 pm

Lucy:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! :P
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:29 am

We had a 2 year old colt that we were taking pictures of one day.My husband was using a big glove to draw his attention.The colt decided to play with the glove and was pulling and shaking it. The next day I went in to turn him out and as I just going to put the lead on him,he spotted my "BIG" glove.He grabbed it and shook it and would not let go.I was just about down on my knees.I hate to admit it but his nose was about 1/2 an inch from my mouth so I nailed him.He let go so fast ---ran to the back of his stall,stood in the corner with eyes wide open. I am sure he was
thinking Oh my Gosh ,I didn't know that she bites.He never offered to bite anything again but then neither have I.Marg.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:39 pm

Rick wrote:I wouldn't recommend it but my trainer's husband had a 2 year old gelding who would bite so he bit him back. That gelding has been a gentleman since then.

I've done that before with a cat (even more difficult to train than a horse!). Worked like a charm.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm

Well, biting him back hasn't worked for my guy, it just becomes more of a game. The knock in the nose worked briefly and that was only sheer reflex when I did that one, but wow, did I get him. Like one of the previous posts, he just went to the back of his stall, shook his head a was quite subdued......for about a week...

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:15 pm

I'll bite back if that is called for. A stiff tap on the cannon bone also works to distract them. The important thing is to not stop what you are doing, whether it be grooming or tacking up or whatever.

Ditto the "whack upside the head" comment, the tracks are peppered with talentless drifters as well as humble saints.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

mini's mom
Allowance Winner

biting

Postby mini's mom » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:36 am

you could also try to bite him - or take a piece of skin on the neck and twist it hard and that usually stops biting - see they are so big and playfull that they think that everything around them is another horse - and a buddy to play with - life is a game with them - and it is about control - horses bite each other on the necks near the shoulder and that shows the boss of the herd and if you take a hold of a piece of skin and twist it - usually it show them that you are the herd boss - if you can get a hold of the nose and twist it - that will stop the biting also - the hot potato won't work and you will burn your hands - same with the red pepper - horses don't have the same sense of taste that we do and who knows there are plenty of horses at the race track that love red pepper! - try the twist - like the indians used to do to control their horses - and if you give a horse a shot do the same thing - like twisting a towle - just a handful and it will work - and the person who bit the horse and the horse that ran back in his stall - he just learned that he is not the boss and that someone or something else has teeth and it is not him! - sorry! had to fix the spelling - it is usually late in the day when I get to the computer -

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:54 pm

I grab the cheek piece on the halter, grind my fist in there cheek while giveing a sharp shake, it works alright when repeated as needed and no head shyness. The biteing thing worked realllllly well on a bad pup though, he's about the best dog I've ever had now and he was the worst pup ever to raise, almost sacked him before he was 6 months old!!